UPC unable to find new act for Welcome Week Concert

University Programs Council looks to schedule a ‘quality concert’ later in the school year

<p>Future and Lil Yachty were originally scheduled to perform at the John Paul Jones Arena on Aug. 19.&nbsp;</p>

Future and Lil Yachty were originally scheduled to perform at the John Paul Jones Arena on Aug. 19. 

The University Programs Council is suspending its efforts to find a replacement artist for Saturday’s Welcome Week Concert. UPC began searching for a new artist after rappers Future and Lil Yachty announced Thursday they would be canceling their concert at the John Paul Jones Arena.

“Despite our best efforts and the many avenues that we have explored in the past 24 hours, we were unable to move forward with an artist that we felt would meet the needs and expectations of our community,” Nolan Reilly, UPC chair and fourth-year Batten student, said in an email to The Cavalier Daily.

Reilly said UPC is looking to schedule a “quality concert” later in the school year.

“We understand that this news can be difficult for some, but it is of note that UPC worked tirelessly before reaching this conclusion,” Reilly said. “The best interests of the students and University community are always our top priority, and we are excited to bring the remaining Welcome Week events to you all in the coming days.”

Reilly said Thursday evening that Future canceled his concert due to safety concerns following last weekend’s events. He also canceled a concert scheduled for Sunday in Virginia Beach.

“Out of respect for the tragic events I felt it wasn't rite [sic] to perform at this time..please understand my heart mean well VA #FutureHendrix,” Future tweeted late Thursday night. "VA is important to me & always will be. I'm comin very soon, my word! Love Forever.”

Students had started a social media campaign Thursday evening with the hashtag #giveUVAaCHANCE in an effort to get artist Chance the Rapper to come to the University.

Hundreds of white nationalists marched on Grounds last Friday night. The “Unite the Right” rally held in Emancipation Park last Saturday left 32-year-old Heather Heyer dead after a car plowed into a group of counter-protesters. Two Virginia state troopers were also killed in a helicopter crash in Albemarle County after assisting with law enforcement efforts in the city.