Mariah Carey returns to her roots on ‘With You’

New single is a return to form but not the top charts

<p>Mariah Carey's new single is a return to her sincere lyrics and melodious vocals.</p>

Mariah Carey's new single is a return to her sincere lyrics and melodious vocals.

Mariah Carey is setting the stage for her forthcoming 15th studio album with the ballad “With You.” “With You” finds Carey regaining her artistic footing after a string of unsuccessful singles and her lackluster 14th studio album, “Me. I am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse.” The song pays homage to her older work with trendy yet classic production, Carey-esque lyrics and explosive vocals.  

The song opens with Carey riffing over a set of dark piano chords accompanied by background vocals echoing the title of the song. Instantly, the song transports the listener back to her monstrous hit, “We Belong Together,” until the DJ Mustard producer tag plays and reminds them this is not a typical Mariah Carey song, but one with a modern twist. The song continues to straddle the line between throwback and classic with finger snaps reminiscent of older tracks by Carey such as “Close My Eyes” and modern hits like “Trip” by Ella Mai — this fusion of vintage and contemporary sounds gives the song a classic feel. 

The pop diva shows off her talent as a wordsmith with the track. Recently, fans of Carey expressed gripes about her declining lyricism. With the turn of the millennium, her lyrics began to contain more pop culture references and less of the storytelling and SAT-level vocabulary she employed in her earlier work. Once again, Carey manages to find the perfect balance on “With You.” 

Throughout the first verse, she utilizes her storytelling prowess to express her hesitation about a relationship as she sings: “There were vows, she was bound to take 'em / She was full of such trepidation / There in front of the whole damn nation.” During the chorus, the singer becomes a connoisseur of pop culture as she croons references to alcohol and Usher — “Ooh, shots of Remy / Playing “Confessions,” and our bodies blendin’.” 

“With You” is standard Mariah Carey in its vocal delivery, and the listener thanks her for it. After a string of embarrassing high-profile performances, one finds it reassuring to hear Carey still maintains her vocal talent — at least in the studio. Lush background vocals and a final chorus featuring a display of vocal range harken listeners back to the Carey of “Vision of Love” and “We Belong Together.” Ironically, the sole flaw of the song lies in the same chorus — the early fade-out makes the song feel unfinished, thus leaving the listener begging for more. 

Despite a triumphant return to music, the question still remains — will Carey return to the charts? In an ageist and streaming reliant music industry, women over the age of 40 struggle to carve out space in radio. Sia bears the role of the first woman as a lead artist to claim the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 in almost 30 years. Contemporaries of Carey, like Madonna and Céline Dion, both failed to generate any lasting impact on the U.S. music charts with their latest releases. Based on these facts, the answer to the aforementioned question seems to be a resounding “no.”

Carey re-entering the charts remains unlikely, but one cannot fault her for trying. Following years of professional blunders, “With You” takes a step in the right direction for the singer-songwriter, as she slowly restores the iota of faith the general population holds in her. Regardless of commercial success, the singer reminds the world why it fell in love with her in the first place — sincere lyrics and melodious vocals.