Party of three

A third political party is an important aspect of the Virginia democratic process

Republican party candidate Robert Hurt is refusing to enter a debate with opponent Tom Perriello in the Cumberland County NAACP debate because third party candidate

Published September 17, 2010 in Opinion

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Joel Taubman
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

In the second to last paragraph: "... there is no legal basis that Hu[r]t can exclude Clark from the debate..." and "Hurt can legally deny Clark entrance in the debate..." I am a little confused.

Sean
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

While I wonder of Ashley would be so enthusiastic if this were a Green Party candidate that might siphon votes away from Mr. Periello - I agree that anyone on the ballott should be included in all debates. Even David Toscano allowed Robert Smith (a homeless chap who also is an avid reader in Alderman lounge) debated Robert Smith in the House of Delegates race recently. Smith ended up getting over 20% of the vote.

But this rule needs to apply across the board. Ross Perot being included in the presidential debates with the two main party candidates while others were locked out (a clever trick from the media) is the only reason Bill Clinton ever got elected. He never got 50% of the vote.

It's too bad there wasn't also a Green Party candidate to make 4 here, but I still recall how Mr. Periello's election loss in 2008 suddenly turned into a win when the City of Charlottesville found him 600+ "surprise votes" a few days after the election. The elections commisoner at City Hall described this discovery of all those votes that flipped the result as "unexplainable"

Joel Taubman
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Since when does every person who can walk, talk, chew gum, and get a few hundred signatures deserve a podium. Last time I checked, debates were run by private institutions, or is that also going to be 'bailed out' by the FED.

Carey Campbell
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Thank you for pointing out the importance of the elected Independent Green Party 5th Congressional District Chairman, Jeff Clark in this race.

Jeff Clark is a U.S. Army veteran, husband, father, and businessman.

Independent Green Party candidates both nominated and endorsed have been a sigificant and relevant factor in elections going back to the first Independent elected to U.S. Senate in the 1970's.

Ross Perot was impressive both in 1992, 1996. Nader as the Green Party candidate in 2000 had a significant impact on the debate. As did the Independent Green Party candidate Joseph Oddo in the 5th district in 2006.

Thanks for the story.

The Independent Greens of Virginia are at http://www.VoteJoinRun.US

Joel Taubman
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Jeff Clark is a "social and fiscal conservative." He is most identified with the Tea Party movement although much of that movement does not support him. He supports very few, if any, of the tenets in the Green Party platform.

Person
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

"Since when does every person who can walk, talk, chew gum, and get a few hundred signatures deserve a podium." - Joel Try Sarah Palin in Wassilla, AK 1992-2007