Code of Ethics
As an independent student newspaper, The Cavalier Daily aims to provide the University community with new, relevant and insightful information that inspires critical conversation and even action on Grounds. In the pursuit of this mission, we insist that members of The Cavalier Daily staff adhere to the highest standards of integrity, honesty and good practice.
The Cavalier Daily welcomes thoughtful, respectful and relevant comments that contribute to a public dialogue. In order to maintain a high level of discourse, all comments must be approved by our moderator. We reserve the right to reject any inappropriate commentary, including but not limited to:
• Explicit content, including obscenities or anything sexually or violently explicit
• Any comments that are libelous or defamatory, or violate an individual’s reasonable expectations of privacy
• Any comments that are clearly irrelevant to the topic at hand
• Any comments posted by an account that impersonates another individual or group
• Any comments that may violate the laws of the state of Virginia or the United States
• Anything that promotes or advocates violence or illegal activities
• Anything that demeans others on the basis of race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, religion, gender or any other categorization
• Anything written in bad taste, including anything intended to harass or intimidate reporters or other commenters
We ask that you help us monitor the comment threads on cavalierdaily.com. If you see a comment that violates our policy, do not respond to it. Instead, please contact our operations manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By posting comments to cavalierdaily.com comment threads, you agree to indemnify The Cavalier Daily, Inc. from any losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including attorney’s fees, resulting from claims related to material you post.
Users who repeatedly violate our comment policy will be blocked from future participation in our website forums. Please allow up to 24 hours for comment moderation.
All Cavalier Daily content is protected by U.S. copyright laws, including content produced using Cavalier Daily resources and equipment. Before reprinting any content (videos, photos, articles) please contact The Cavalier Daily's editor-in-chief.
How to request permission
All requests should be directed to The Cavalier Daily's editor-in-chief via email at email@example.com. Attach the reprint request form to an email with the subject line "Reprint Request."
Any refusals and additional fees are at the sole discretion of the editor-in-chief.
Articles and Photography
Minimum reprint fee for commercial use (hard copy or online)
- $75/article, depending on use
- $25/photo, depending on use
Minimum reprint fee for non-profit, college newspaper use (hard copy or online)
- $20/article, depending on use
- $15/photo, depending on use
Minimum search fee for research through Cavalier Daily bound volumes
Minimum photocopying fee from archives
- $2.00/page plus shipping fees
- $2.00/black-and-white page plus shipping fees
- $5.00/color page plus shipping fees
Hard copies of The Cavalier Daily from the past 12 months are kept on file. Copies can be requested for $5.00, plus shipping fees.
Please contact the editor-in-chief at firstname.lastname@example.org to request use of video footage. All video content is the property of The Cavalier Daily. Fees payable to The Cavalier Daily will vary, depending on the quantity and type of video content requested.
How to pay
Once the request has been fulfilled, The Cavalier Daily editor-in-chief will provide an invoice detailing all fees, which can be paid by check or Paypal. All checks should be made payable to "The Cavalier Daily" and sent to the address below: Ava MacBlane The Cavalier Daily Editor-in-Chief Newcomb Hall, The University of Virginia PO Box 400703 Charlottesville, VA 22904