Board to vote on European Studies M.A.

Two-year program would require study abroad

The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences has proposed a master’s degree in European Studies to the Board of Visitors, who will discuss the program during its Educational Policy Committee meeting this Thursday and vote on the measure in its full meeting Friday.

Student and faculty interest prompted administrators to consider the new degree program, Cristina Della Coletta, associate dean for humanities and the arts, said in an email.

Coletta said the program will “emphasize a ‘global’ Europe, in its multiple connections to the larger world,” while existing programs focused on specific regions and languages — such as Spanish, French, Italian and German — would remain for students seeking a deeper understanding of a particular region.

“The purpose of the proposed European Studies M.A. is to promote the international and interdisciplinary study of Europe in a comparative global perspective,” Coletta said. “The program will offer substantive international expertise to its students and help them develop broad-based knowledge of European matters.”

One of the program’s major facets is its multidisciplinary nature, which Coletta said would provide great value to students after graduation.

“The proposed program is not limited to those who seek employment in academia,” Coletta said. “But [it] is aimed at providing professional credentials to those whose career interests encompass the spheres of business, government, non-governmental and international organizations, policy-oriented research institutes, journalism, museums, etc. in the United States as well as Europe.”

If the proposal is approved by the Board, the European Studies degree program will become the first of its kind at any university in the state. The two-year program will require a semester spent in Europe.

“The [master’s degree] will include a study abroad semester designed as integral part of the curricular sequence with an intense advising component while abroad,” Coletta said.

An initial class of 10 to 12 students is planned for the program’s first year. Existing University resources and faculty will be incorporated initially, though additional staffing remains a possibility going forward.