News in Brief

University employees receive Jefferson Awards

Two University Medical Center employees are among the three area residents being honored for their exemplary community service.

Leslie Baruch, an occupational therapist and David Simmons, the clinical director of the University's Kidney Center Clinic have been chosen as recipients of this year's Jefferson Awards. The American Institute for Public Service bestows the award on deserving community members.

The local sponsors of the award are the Daily Progress and the United Way of the Thomas Jefferson Area.

Baruch and Simmons now are up for the National Jefferson Award, which will be awarded in June.

Previous national award winners include Jimmy Carter, Arthur Ashe and Alan Greenspan.

Baruch is the director of the Central Virginia Burn Camp, a free camp she founded in 1993. Since its inception, hundreds of victims have attended the camp.

Simmons serves on the board of directors for Shelter for Help in Emergency and the AIDS/HIV Services Groups as well as organizing free local health fairs and health screenings.

Charles Crenshaw, the president of McCann Delivery Service, also received the distinction. Crenshaw, who raised $175,000 to fight communicable diseases and end polio, headed up the Rotary International project for Central Virginia.

A University professor's research confirms what women have known all along -- fashion hurts.

Dr. Casey Kerrigan conducted research which suggests that high-heeled shoes cause knee osteoarthritis in women. Women currently are twice as likely as their male counterparts to develop osteoarthritis.

"If we get the word out that it's really bad for you, then hopefully it will go out of fashion," Kerrigan said in the Daily Progress.

Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease and one of the most common types of arthritis. Kerrigan is the chair of the University department of physical medicine and rehabilitation.