Students walk out of class, protest war in Iraq

In response to the commencement of U.S. and allied air strikes against Iraq Wednesday night, the Anti-War Coalition at U.Va. joined forces with two local groups to sponsor a walkout and march yesterday.

At 2 p.m., about 200 protestors from a collection of student and local groups congregated near the statue of Homer on the South Lawn, proceeding from there down Main Street. The group of protesters stopped traffic at the W. Main and Ridge Street intersection, then proceeding to the U.S. Courthouse and Federal Building downtown.

Anti-War Coalition co-founder Jessica Forman told the crowd gathered at the South Lawn that the mission of students should be to "promote peace and community in the world," adding that they should "start by ending this war."

Independent speakers denounced the Bush administration's prosecution of war as an unnecessary, violent action. University Democrats President Ian Amelkin characterized the war as an "unjust effort by unjust means."

Another member of local activist group Citizens Against Global Exploitation, Spot Etal, also had few kind words for supporters of the war.

"This war and the people who want it are not patriots -- no more than Hitler or Goerring were for Germany," Etal said. "Bush has stopped trying to be president and is trying to be a tyrant."

Walkout organizers and participants said they were encouraged by the substantial turnout of students and community members despite the heavy rain and what they consider to be an apathetic attitude prevalent at the University.

"I am pleased so many students found it necessary to take time out of their day to realize the gravity of what is going on in Iraq," Anti-War Coalition co-founder Matt Kindig said.

While the Anti-War Coalition did claim responsibility for the walkout and the march along the Main Street sidewalk, Kindig said his group did not endorse other behaviors, such as a parade through Cabell Hall and the blocking of traffic. Demonstrators who felt the need to express themselves in those ways, he said, acted "on their own independent will."

Following the march, some demonstrators assembled before Congressman Virgil Goode's Charlottesville office to support Quaker dissident Michelle Mattioli, who has been trying to meet with the congressman, who protestors said previously had been unreceptive to hearing their concerns.

Over a half dozen arrests were made at Goode's office when protestors refused to leave.

Goode, speaking from Washington, D.C. later yesterday, said he spoke to protestors over the telephone to hear their concerns, but after they refused to depart, the police were contacted. Goode's office manager, Esther Page, closed the office for the day.

Charlottesville Police Sgt. M. G. Davis said seven protestors, including one juvenile, were arrested and charged with trespassing after refusing to vacate the office.

Some faculty members also attended the walkout and rally. They said they were drawn to the events because of frustration with Bush's failed attempts at diplomacy and fear of intensified terrorist attacks against the United States.

German Department Lecturer Janette Hudson said she was extremely concerned with what will happen after the war.

"Bush is not making us safer -- quite the contrary. We are raising the risk of terrorism against us significantly," she said.

While many did honor the opportunity to voice their discontent, others condemned the structure of the rally.

"The nature of the walkout was horribly disrespectful to professors," College Republicans Treasurer Ali Ahmad said. One protestor in particular showed a particular lack of respect by dragging a defaced American flag through the mud, he said.

College Republicans President Ben Beliles said, however, that the very existence of the protest is representative of the freedoms Americans enjoy.

"We welcome dissent," Beliles said. The fact that such vocal opposition is tolerated "is what makes America better than Iraq."

In a more extreme counter-protest demonstration, Jeremy Williams, treasurer of the conservative Jefferson Leadership Foundation, attended the rally dressed as Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and sarcastically thanked protestors for supporting his regime.

"By opposing war now, all they are saying is that they don't support America and our troops," Williams said.