Tech faculty, students slam new policy

The decision by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors to refuse any recognition of race in admissions and hiring and to eliminate sexual orientation from its non-discrimination policy is being widely condemned by students and state politicians.

In a prepared statement, Gov. Mark R. Warner said he is "extremely concerned" about the Board's decisions and cautioned other state schools from initiating similar policies until the Supreme Court rules on the upcoming Gratz v. Bollinger case, which challenges race-based admissions policies.

"I see no reason why any Board member at any Virginia college or university should feel compelled to act on these issues until we receive more definitive guidance from the Supreme Court," Warner said.

Virginia Democratic Party Chair Lawrence Framme, in a separate statement, characterized Virginia Tech's new policies as "outrageous" and a "cancer [that] must be stopped from spreading to the other great colleges and universities of this Commonwealth."

Adding to the collective groan emanating from the state Democratic party, Del. Mitch Van Yahres, D-Charlottesville, said the Virginia Tech Board "jumped the gun," calling the decision a "knee jerk reaction" by conservative Board members appointed during the eight years that Republicans inhabited the Governor's Mansion.

Virginia Tech Board members have been largely silent regarding their motives since making the decision.

With four Board members departing in June, Van Yahres said he is hopeful that the decision will be overturned, should Warner appoint more liberal members.

Roger Clegg, general counsel for the Sterling-based Center for Equal Opportunity, disagreed with the popular condemnation of the decisions, saying the Board should be commended and its decision applauded.

"We hope that other schools like the University of Virginia will follow suit," Clegg said.

Clegg said by striking down race-sensitive policies, the Board is upholding America's treasured "principle of non-discrimination."

"it's wrong to assume every African-American student is disadvantaged and it is equally wrong to think all white students were born in a mansion," Clegg said.

Students and community activists said, however, that they are fearful that the university's new stance will be detrimental to the quality of the academic experience at Virginia Tech.

"Inclusion is the only way we're going to attract excellent students and faculty," said John Israel, president of the Virginia Partisans Gay & Lesbian Democratic Club.

Others also argue that diversity on campus is and should be an integral part of shaping well-rounded students during the college experience.

Carlos Fernandez, vice president of the Virginia Tech Black Student Alliance, said diversity in the classroom is necessary to "teach students how to work with other cultures" and "create people, not machines."

A student government offical at Virginia Tech, Carrie Meador, said the student government is considering filing a lawsuit against the school because of the secretive way the Board made its decision.

University Law Prof. Robert O'Neil, however said the Board's actions, while "unwise and unfortunate," are not unconstitutional.

O'Neil added that a reasoned, more subtle argument could be made that, by eliminating race-sensitive policies, the school did not "return to neutral." Because of the historic use of race as a factor in admissions as allowed in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, he said the school's new policy could be construed as a violation of federal allowances.

The Board's decision has spawned cooperation and action both by student and faculty groups. On Thursday, a broad cross-section of concerned students rallied in front of Burruss Hall, the main building on campus, Meador said. Students also are participating in sit-ins in the president's office.

The following day, the history department voted to condemn the new policies.

Natasha Freeman, president of the Committee for African-American Student Issues and an NAACP board member, said the Tech chapter of the civil rights group currently is seeking support from its national organization.