Spring break trip to benefit Nicaraguan orphans

While most students have not even begun to think about their Spring Break plans, members of the Nicaragua Orphans Fund have begun to organize their plans and spearhead a fundraising campaign.

The group will hold a benefit concert tonight with all proceeds going towards its annual trip to Nicaragua during spring break 2005. The concert will feature local bands "Portrait of Another" and "Sparky's Flaw."

Proceeds of the event will subsidize food, medical supplies, clothes and vocational programs for the orphans of the Casa Bernabe Orphanage in Vera Cruz, Nicaragua, to be delivered during Spring Break, Nicaragua Orphans Fund President Tyler Tuite said.

The group consists of 20 University students that raise money for a Spring Break mission trip to Nicaragua to benefit children.

Thirty of the 65 attendees at the interest meeting held Tuesday night have already committed to attending the trip this spring, Tuite said.

Participants are financially responsible for the cost of travel, lodging and food.

"We're trying to merge our vision with the University's vision," group spokesperson Ashley Lawson said.

Lawson said when the group meets with University President John T. Casteen, III on Friday, they plan to emphasize how the Nicaragua Orphans Fund's mission of service fits with the University's 2020 plan to improve the areas of fine and performing arts, international activities, public service and outreach and science and technology.

"It's very Jeffersonian in that we are developing global citizens," Lawson added.

After the group's initial trip to Nicaragua in spring 2003, members approached the Alumni Association in an attempt to achieve agency status. With this status, tax-deductible donations can be made to the Nicaragua Orphans Fund.

"The Alumni Association has been really helpful and generous," Lawson said.

In 2003, the group took 29 University students to Nicaragua, and by 2004 the number had almost doubled to 53 students traveling with the organization.

The group, which began as the initiative of a member of Kappa Delta sorority in 2003, is open to all University students, but maintains strong support from the Greek community.

"This isn't just a Spring Break trip -- we want it to have long lasting implications," Tuite said.

He added that five members of the first group moved to Nicaragua following graduation.

After achieving CIO status this fall, Lawson said the group sought the guidance of Aaron Laushway, associate dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life, who has served as a helpful resource and advisor.

"Their intentions are noble and I think their passion is commendable," Laushway said.