Show me the way

Orientation Leader (OL) -- (n.) a crazy, extroverted, University-enthusiast who can make any interaction an ice breaker, course advise into the wee hours of the morning and perform an 18-step dance routine to LFO's "Summer Girl" in style.

Day 1

8 a.m.: Check In

Me: "Good morning. Here's your student orientation folder. Inside, you will find your schedule for the next couple of days, a map of Grounds, along with your student evaluation form which you will hand in at check out. Here's your name tag and advising sheet which has the name of your summer faculty advisor, the location of your appointment, along with the name of the orientation leader you will meet later today. Now, have you taken your ID photo yet?"

Student: "Yes, I have. But, I'm afraid that I blinked, and my hair looks terrible today."

Me: "That's not a problem at all. You'll only have to use your student ID to access the dining hall, your residence hall, the AFC and maybe to buy your books and pay for laundry. Other than that, you'll never have to see this picture again. Now, if you would please step to the left, you will pick up your key for your dorm room tonight in Hereford."

This student had just started their first day of summer orientation, but my day began the night before with a piece of orange sidewalk chalk...

10 p.m. the night before: "Chalking" begins

Team B and I split up to cover different sections of Grounds that we will chalk with directions, information, and inspirational messages for the orientees and their families to follow the next day, such as "Feel the burn," "Hoos in shape?,"a highly accurate calorie count and, of course, the song lyrics: "Let me see you one, two step" and "You can do it, put your back into it."

Day 1 begins

7:15 a.m.: Our 28-strong orientation leader team treks down to the Student Activities Building in our khakis and orange and blue polos. Upon entering the SAB, we notice those parents who dragged their sons and daughters to check in unnecessarily early. Inside, we assemble for our morning briefing and begin to fuel up for the next 20 hours with bagels, fruit and, of course, lots of caffeine.

Before we all break into our assigned jobs for the morning, Connie Freeman, our assistant director, tells us we'll be having 369 College along with 49 Engineering students. She also informs us that today's session "I" stands for "Indelible." One of the senior leaders, third-year College student Laura Hussey, then tells us that the session theme today is "random acts of kindness," and we draw names.

10 a.m.: Welcome Address

Around 9:45 I slip away from my post in the SAB and into a different t-shirt that disguises my orientation leader identity, as I am one of the five plants who will pose as first year students during the welcome address. For this morning, I will be Megan from Michigan, and my goal is to portray myself as an extremely awkward and nervous first year. I try to walk aimlessly, ask questions like, "Where's the bathroom?" and latch onto the first year I sit next to.

Finally, Tabitha Enoch, our director, begins speaking about some logistical information when third-year College student Marcus Oliver's cell phone goes off to the tune of "The Good Old Song." All of the plants then stand up and recite the first few lyrics of the song, while the rest of the orientation leaders run down to the stage singing. After our introductions, the fun begins.

11:15 a.m.: Small Group Meetings

I run to the bathroom to change back into my polo, grab my name tag and bag and make my way to the Lawn. I assume my position in a shady spot under a tree and wait for the first years to be let out of Cabell. Once I have about 14 orientees, I lead them to Pavilion VIII for ice breakers. We all sit down, I speak a little bit about the building we're in, and start introductions.

"My name is Nicole Ponticorvo. I'm a rising second-year from New Jersey, really close to New York City. I'm majoring in English, and my favorite childhood TV show was My Little Pony."

After everyone introduces themselves and I attempt to mentally implant their names in my memory, I start another ice breaker -- "Three Ps." Each orientee must disclose something personal, professional and peculiar about themselves to their partner who will later present them.

Once we're done, I take my group outside to the Lawn and have them circle up to sing "The Good Old Song" together. I proceed to hand out small pieces of paper with the lyrics. Some of their eyes roll, so I explain how it's exciting at football games when the entire stadium links arms, sways and sings this song. I assure them that in the fall they're going to feel cool when they're of the few who know the song that early.

12:15 p.m.: Lunch

After singing, we all make our way to Newcomb for lunch, where I find a table for our entire group and then set out for some food. Back at our table, I mingle with my group, answer questions, talk about random things and then throw in for them to Facebook me, of course.

1 - 2:30 p.m.: Free time

While the first years are listening to talks about technology and University requirements from the deans of their schools, I have some free time, so some other orientation leaders join me for a trip to Starbucks.

2:30 - 4 p.m.: Course Scheduling Workshops

After the dean of the College speaks, we all report back to the Ballroom to split the first years into groups for course scheduling workshops. Third-year College student Saalem Adera and I are scheduled together today in the Kaleidoscope. Here, we have a small group of students and we begin to help them pick classes for their advising appointments on day two.

Saalem starts us out explaining the COD: schedule numbers, mnemonics, military time, Thursday's representation as "R," etc. Then I give them the low down of the procedure for scheduling classes tomorrow and that magic number of 25 completely different classes, not counting five different sections of the same class as more than one alternate, that they will need for tomorrow as classes fill up throughout the day. Four o'clock rolls around too quickly, and we walk our now overwhelmed and stressed out group back to the Ballroom for a presentation about the honor system and Student Council.

4 - 4:45 p.m.: More free time.

During the presentation, most of us hang out in the Kaleidoscope. I decide to set up two chairs so I can catch a little bit of sleep before I'm on fourth-year College student Mike Parisi's panel at 5 p.m.

5 - 6 p.m.: Student Panels

Now it's time for another fun part of the day -- panels. Parisi is my moderator this time, and there are two other orientation leaders as my fellow panelists. The last question we get is about streaking the Lawn, which elicits laughter. One panelist gives the proper procedure for streaking, and then I tell a funny story that fourth-year College student Frank Michael Muñoz told me about an orientee who saw him sitting on the Rotunda stairs one night and said, "You were my orientation leader! Can you hold my clothes?" right before streaking.

6 - 7 p.m.: Dinner and Small Group Meeting

After dinner at Newcomb, I meet my small group under the big white tent so we can all walk to the AFC. Before leaving, I take them to Garden IX to relax for a bit. They ask me some questions they didn't get answered during their panels, and then we do another icebreaker.

7:15 - 9 p.m.: AFC

Once we all make it to the AFC, some of my group walks back up to Hereford to change into their workout clothes or bathing suits, and the rest go inside with me to attack the amazing cookies. I announce that I'm giving a small tour of the AFC, and a group gathers with me. While we're downstairs by the dance studios, I see Muñoz and fourth-year College student Staci Raab dancing with one of the instructors. I coax some of my group to go inside with me and we all followed a Kukuwa dance routine. We all had a laugh at our terrible dance skills, but those who participated had a great time.

9:30 p.m.: Hall Meeting

Around 9 o'clock, we start gathering everyone to walk back up to Hereford for hall meetings. Fourth-year College student Elizabeth "Oz" Oswald and I hold it down on the only female floor of Malone. We go through what everyone is to expect for tomorrow, with most emphasis on advising questions. Then, we speak about what's happening in Hereford tonight after the meeting, including course advising, a computer lab, a movie and the card game "Mafia."

10 - midnight: Course Advising

Tonight, I'm scheduled to course advise on the third floor of Malone for all those who still need help gathering their 25 alternates and figuring out their schedules. It's packed in the lounge for a while, and the stress is visible. After lots of scheduling advice from me and the other OLs advising tonight and much reassurance and deep breaths, everyone calls it a night and gets some sleep.

2 a.m.: Malone cries wolf ... again.

Just when we all were falling asleep, Malone's fire alarm sounds for the fifth time this summer.

Day 2

9 a.m.- 12:15 p.m.: Bryan Hall

This morning I'm scheduled to work in Bryan Hall, where all of the College students will schedule classes today. Most students come in with their 25 alternates listed, and I send them right down the hall to the computer lab where a graduate student enrolls them in classes. When my shift is over, I check out and head to lunch before the tour I'm giving of Grounds.

1 - 2 p.m.: Tour

One of the options for students and parents on day two is a tour of Grounds. I meet whoever is interested at the steps of Old Cabell at 1 p.m. and start my tour, first pointing out the different buildings along the Lawn. On our way to the next stop, the Chemistry Building's plaza, I bump into other orientation leaders, on their way to Bryan Hall and to the SAC for the "go clubbing" fair. While passing through the Old Dorms quad, I point out their future dorms.

2 - 5 p.m.: Check Out in the SAB

Even though I wasn't scheduled for check out today, I head back to the SAB after a quick trip for coffee, to float around and catch up with those I met over the past few days. As soon as Oliver comes in the SAB, I greet him with a latte I picked up at Starbucks as my random act of kindness. Finally, I meet up with my small team to debrief with them about the past two days, as we inhale our dinner from Café Europa, after which I head back to Hereford for a well-deserved nap. When I get to my room, I see a little package sitting at my door, and I immediately know it was the random act of kindness for me.

For now, we're off duty, but after one day of rest, it will be time to do it all over again.