Neuman presents on future of architecture at University

University architect discusses importance of retaining Jefferson

A community briefing on past and future physical development yesterday afternoon focused on the University's architectural history and how to sustain Thomas Jefferson's vision as the institution continues to develop and expand.

Architectural History Prof. Richard Guy Wilson spoke at the event alongside University Architect David Neuman, emphasizing the historical importance of many University buildings. Neuman spoke to the architectural challenges facing University officials at present and in the future, stressing that it is necessary to sustain Jefferson's original intention of creating an educated American populous and noting that this should be the primary concern when planning new construction.

It is difficult for the University to maintain that vision in the present day when it has expanded from "200 to 20,000 students," he said. He emphasized that the current focus was on "redevelopment instead of expansion," and also discussed the inherent difficulties associated with developing new buildings that take advantage of existing infrastructure while not disturbing the natural environment surrounding the University.

The need for redevelopment exists because "the University does need to accept a certain amount of growth [in the student population]" as a public institution, Neuman said. He cited this as the impetus for the ongoing reconstruction of the Alderman Road dormitories.

He also discussed the idea of space conservation and various methods of measuring how efficiently buildings use the land on which they are built, citing the South Lawn Project as an example that makes particularly good use of its space because of its multiple stories.

In addition to Neuman, Wilson delivered a presentation titled "From Village to Grounds: The Changing University Landscape," which began with an overview of the considerable expansion that has taken place at the University from its founding to present times.

"We became suburbanized," Wilson said, explaining that as the University grew its student population, Grounds was forced to keep pace.

Wilson also discussed Jefferson's original vision for the Academical Village, noting that "you might say he does a fa