UJC votes down Kaye

Members vote against co-sponsoring resolution to encourage extension of non-discrimination policies

At last night's meeting of the University Judiciary Committee, members debated whether UJC should endorse a non-discrimination resolution by Queer and Allied Activism.

Queer and Allied Activism President Seth Kaye approached UJC last Sunday for its support for a resolution opposing a statement by University alumnus and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli that asked state universities to remove gender identity and sexual orientation from their anti-discrimination policies.

Kaye also approached Student Council, which passed the endorsement unanimously Tuesday. Council will bring the resolution to the Board of Visitors, encouraging the University to extend its non-discrimination policies.

Although committee members agreed with the text of the resolution, many were in disagreement as to whether it was UJC's place to take what they perceived as a political stance.

"We aren't an endorsing body - we're a judicial system," Vice-Chair for First Years Emily Flavin said. Flavin added that this endorsement would lead to a "slippery slope," provoking other organizations to seek approval from the committee for their resolutions.

"Once we start, many groups will come to us," Flavin said. "This is not something we want to get involved with. We're not supposed to have an opinion."

In addition, members were afraid the endorsement would risk the committee's goal of impartiality.

Before a trial begins, both students involved are asked if they believe that the judges are impartial. If one of the judges takes an opinion or makes an endorsement as a UJC representative, the neutrality of the judges is jeopardized.

"We want to maintain complete impartiality in every case that we try," Vice-Chair for Sanctions John Zettler said. "We're not supporting people who commit a hate crime. We're supporting a fair and unbiased trial."

Other members of the committee felt differently, however, given the stated purpose of the committee, which is "To maintain and promote a community of respect, safety, and freedom," according to UJC's Web site.

"We shouldn't protect people that are discriminatory by being impartial to them," Committee member Reginald Benbow said.

He added that if UJC were truly to present itself as supportive of all students, member should have voted in favor of the endorsement.

"We don't just do cases; we're also out in the community, publicizing ourselves and reminding students to abide by the standards of conduct. We're making it known that any type of discrimination against students will not be tolerated," Benbow said.

Voting members rejected the endorsement 11 to 4. UJC Chair Will Bane attributed the debate to differing views about the exact role of UJC within the University community.

"In instances where we're asked to show support for equality, we should take that opportunity," Bane said, who voted in favor of the endorsement.

Bane said he was comfortable in voting in favor of the endorsement because he felt confident that the students who voted for him also would be in favor.