Bomb dogs beat all bomb detection technology

What: Despite the U.S. military's extensive funding for novel bomb detection devices such as drones, metal detectors and spycams, bomb dogs and their sensitive sense of smell are still the most effective form of bomb detection technology. The Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization, a Pentagon's military task force with a $19 billion budget since 2004, reported that mechanical devices only locate about 50 percent of explosives in Afghanistan and Iraq. This detection rate increases to 80 percent when bomb dogs are taken into the field and allowed to sniff the area on the walk.

Who: Lt. Gen. Michael Oates, the commander of JIEDDO, said the organization's focus is on the disruption of IED use rather than just the detection of IEDs.

The Future: JIEDDO will continue to fund alternative technologies such as drones to intercept planting of IEDs, radio jammers to disturb the frequencies needed to detonate the bombs and aerial sensors that survey known bomb areas. JIEDDO also plans to recommend non-technological ways to fight against IEDs through better training and sociopolitical education. Nevertheless, Congress has cut $442 million from the organization's budget, hoping that JIEDDO will spend more wisely on more effective IED-focused programs.

-compiled by Jennifer Tran