No. 6 men’s soccer to face in-state rival No. 25 Virginia Tech Friday night

The Cavaliers have not lost to the Hokies since 2005 with nine consecutive wins

<p>Junior goalkeeper Colin Shutler has allowed just four goals all season.</p>

Junior goalkeeper Colin Shutler has allowed just four goals all season.

Friday night, No. 6 men’s soccer heads to Blacksburg to face in-state foe No. 25 Virginia Tech. The Cavaliers (12-1-1, 4-1-1 ACC) and the Hokies (7-3-2, 1-3-2 ACC) both enter the highly anticipated matchup after key wins against Saint Louis and Notre Dame, respectively. 

Over the past 24 years of the rivals’ storied history, Virginia has only fallen to Virginia Tech twice — with both losses coming back-to-back in the 2004 and 2005 seasons. The latest edition of the rivalry last September resulted in a 1-1 draw with both goals scored in the first 91 seconds of action. Then-sophomore goalkeeper Colin Shutler was outstanding for Virginia, posting eight saves. 

This year, however, Virginia and Virginia Tech meet for a late-October matchup that has huge conference implications. A Cavalier win combined with a draw or loss by Pittsburgh and North Carolina would seal the Coastal Division for Virginia.  

Key Players to Watch

Junior goalkeeper Colin Shutler

After only conceding two goals over the span of 12 matches, Shutler allowed two goals on four shots on goal in a 2-0 loss to Pittsburgh last Friday. Nevertheless, the Middleburg, Va. native made two saves against Saint Louis Tuesday night for his 11th shutout of the year, regaining his form from the start of the season. 

Against Virginia Tech, Shutler will need to continue his excellent play as the Hokies feature a dynamic offense — tied for 18th in the nation with 2.17 goals per game — and an eight-goal scorer in junior midfielder Kristo Strickler.

Sophomore forward Daryl Dike

Dike has been exceptional for the Cavaliers this season, building off of his ACC All-Freshman Team appearance last year and posting a team-leading five goals and six assists. The brother of former Notre Dame standout Bright Dike, the Oklahoma native scored a brace against Saint Louis. 

Look for Dike to be an offensive spark for Virginia, especially during corner kicks and build-up play. 

Virginia Tech junior midfielder Kristo Strickler

Strickler has been an offensive workhorse for the Hokies this season, posting eight goals and three assists, including a hat-trick against Gardner-Webb earlier in the month. However, the 2018 All-ACC Second Team member has been quiet for Virginia Tech since the Hokies’ win against Gardner-Webb, totaling only one shot on goal in his last three matches. 

Despite Strickler’s unusually quiet three-match spell, Virginia Tech Coach Mike Brizendine must run the Hokies’ offense through Strickler if he wants to be able to produce scoring chances against a stingy Virginia defense ranked No. 1 in the nation in goals against average. 

Keys to the Game

Stay solid at the back

Virginia’s allowed Pittsburgh their first goal after a defensive miscue on a cross. As Panther freshman midfielder Valentin Noel sent a high cross into the 18-yard box, senior midfielder Braden Kline was able to sneak behind the Virginia defense to put Pittsburgh up 1-0.  Against a Hokie offense that includes three forwards over six feet tall, the Virginia center back pairing of junior Henry Kessler and freshman Andreas Ueland must be able to handle balls over the top. 

Capitalize on build-up play and scoring opportunities

While Virginia is ranked 44th in the nation in shots per game, the Cavaliers are a lowly 73rd in goals per game. At points throughout the season Virginia has shown an inability to translate build-up play into goals, or even shots on goal, which was demonstrated in full force against Pittsburgh and earlier the season against Boston College. 

Against the Panthers, Virginia held 63 percent of the game’s possession and a 14-5 shot advantage, but only mustered four shots on goal. Against Boston College in a match that ended in a 1-1 draw, the Cavaliers outshot the Eagles 21-3, but only scored one goal on ten shots on goal. To defeat a high scoring Hokie offense that is sure to test Shutler, Virginia will need to be able to convert on its scoring opportunities and match Virginia Tech’s offensive prowess. 

Beyond its importance in the race for the Coastal Division, the match also carries Commonwealth Clash implications. After defeating the Hokies in volleyball and women’s soccer, another win for the Cavaliers would give Virginia an advantage as the highly anticipated football match-up between the two schools looms ahead in late November.  

Friday night is sure to feature an exciting match between two ACC powerhouses — one looking to clinch the Coastal Division and another looking to dethrone its rival for the first time in 13 years. Kickoff at Thompson Field is set for 7 p.m., and the match will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.