IFC finds fraternities not guilty of misconduct

In separate trials yesterday, Zeta Psi and Kappa Alpha Order fraternities were found not guilty by Inter-Fraternity Council judges on charges of disorderly conduct following the controversy over a joint Halloween party in which several students were dressed in blackface.

The IFC Judiciary Committee lifted its temporary suspensions on the two fraternities after judges determined the behavior of the partygoers could not be classified as "expression

which exceeds the bounds of constitutionally protected speech."

Although the fraternities cannot be legally reprimanded, an IFC press release said the events "demonstrate an apparent historical blindness and lack of sensitivity that diminish our credibility and honorable role within the University."

In addition, the IFC encouraged both fraternities to take further internal actions and sponsor diversity training.

"We have taken as many positive steps as legally possible," IFC President Phil Trout said. "I hope that people will see this as a learning opportunity."

Kappa Alpha members were vindicated of any direct involvement in "racially insensitive behavior," but were still formally urged to undergo diversity training.

In a prepared statement, Kappa Alpha President Will Davis said, "We are aware of the verdict and are currently seeking out proactive measures to prevent future incidents of this nature."

Zeta Psi President Blake Campbell could not be reached for comment.

Members of the University administration praised the IFC's handling of events.

"We're dealing with a society that values above all things the free expression of speech and that needs to be safeguarded, even in its most abhorrent form," said Aaron Laushway, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life. "This does pose a significant measure of learning, not only for those directly involved, but hopefully for those who have been affected indirectly."

M. Rick Turner, dean of the Office of African-American Affairs, echoed the importance of learning from the incident.

"I am happy to hear that the IFC took it upon themselves to express their displeasure," Turner said. "I hope that some education has taken place in [the students'] hearts."

The verdict left other members of the black community disappointed.

"It's a shame that people are not being held accountable for their actions," said Rowland Webb, co-chairman of the Black Fraternal Council. "When you take that step initially to mock somebody, you are mocking a race. Even if you don't intend to, it's blatant."

The controversy first erupted after pictures from the Oct. 31 party were found on partypics.com, a private Web site, showing one student in blackface dressed as Uncle Sam and two others dressed as Serena and Venus Williams. Soon after, Kappa Alpha and Zeta Psi both were suspended by their national headquarters. Kappa Alpha was later taken off suspension. The incident received widespread media attention, even appearing in The Washington Post.

Trout dismissed the possibility of press coverage influencing the IFC-JC's decision on a case that deals with such a sensitive topic.

"We thought it was a very important issue regardless of what the press thinks," he said. "We want to use this as a stepping stone and take some positive things from it."

Following its own investigations, the Inter-Sorority Council will hold a trial tomorrow to address the possible involvement of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta in the party.

Both Zeta Psi and Kappa Alpha were convicted on charges of consumption of alcohol by minors and will face one month of social probation if found guilty of another infraction before the end of the spring semester.

Although no legal action can be taken against the fraternity members for dressing in blackface, Turner nevertheless said he considered the incident to be "calculated racism," pointing out that "there are too many other kinds of costumes they could have dressed up in."

Webb agreed, speculating on future implications of the IFC's decision.

"If people can get away with something like that, who knows what else they can get away with," he said.

Laushway offered a more optimistic reaction to the verdict.

"I truly hope that the concerns and issues brought forth will enable a collective effort to continuously examine, openly discuss and move towards resolution within a community of thoughtful, dedicated participants," he said.