Good riddance to 'not gay' chant

Saturday's football game against Duke was a landmark event for the University. As many fourth years will remember, it was just a few years ago that many at the University were confounded by how to eradicate "not gay" chant (which had been shouted after the line in the Good Ol' Song "where all is bright and gay"). Alumni had complained, administrators were concerned at such a widespread display of intolerance, and many students felt unwelcome even at their own home football games.

On Saturday, however, the chant was barely audible. Though traces could still be heard in some areas of the stands, it is far from the audible embarrassment that could be heard on national broadcasts of home games mere years ago. This is so starkly different than the prior situation that it is worth noting the efforts toward change that impacted this University for the better.

The eradication of the "not gay" chant can be credited almost entirely to the efforts of a Student Council ad hoc committee created to address this problem. Members of the committee, led by Sarah Jobe and Niko Schutte, gave presentations to various groups on the different perspectives on the chant, and facilitated discussions between group members. Over the span of two years, the Student Council ad hoc committee "talked it up," meeting with various organizations around Grounds in order to inspire dialogue on this issue.

In this way, the ad hoc committee exemplified how powerful an effect discourse can have on the University community. It was almost universally recognized among thoughtful individuals that the "not gay" chant was an intolerant and shameful practice. However, the chant didn't die out because of administrative efforts to silence students, or through any attempts to stifle student speech. Rather, it was due to tireless student-led efforts over the course of two years to stimulate discussion that led to the end of one of the most embarrassing traditions at the University.

One other point of note is that, according to numerous reports, the remnants of the chant were coming not from the student section, but from the alumni section. On one hand, it's fairly discouraging to see our alumni behaving in such a manner -- and certainly is a reminder that our University's past isn't as untainted and tolerant as we would have hoped (even in regard to recent history). Alumni should display a little more maturity and respect when saluting their alma mater.

On the other hand, it's extremely heartening to see that current students have almost wholly rejected the "not gay" chant. This complete about-face by the student population on the chant is the hallmark of an inclusive and understanding university.

The focus of discussion at the University is often on the myriad problems that seem to exist within our community. So it's encouraging to look back at a problem that seemed insurmountable just three years ago, and see the monumental difference that students have made in making the University a more tolerant and accepting community.