Not gay and proud of it

The "not gay" chant has been completely written off on Grounds. Some call it a drunken joke while others refer to its adherents as homophobes. Unfortunately, in doing so, this University has completely disregarded the religiously and politically-minded like myself who say the chant out of disgust for the gay lifestyle and support for our natural heterosexuality given to us by God.

Not surprisingly, the chant's opponents found it much easier to write us off as drunks and homophobes then address our intellectual concerns.

In doing so, the majority suggests that we are only to take the viewpoints of the sober and so called "tolerant." However, if we were to only take the viewpoints of this selective leftist group, there wouldn't be many viewpoints, for few of us are completely sober and tolerant to the point of failing to address flaws, especially among politicians. And of course we don't want a limited scope of purely liberal viewpoints.

If everyone's thinking the same thing, then no one's thinking, which is exactly what is occurring on the topic of the "not gay" chant. Is anyone else in this University ready to defend the use of the "not gay" chant with academic language?

As a Catholic I believe in natural law -- morality derived from the nature of human beings. With this belief in mind, man was made to become one with his female counterpart in the act of intercourse for the purpose of procreation. That is how we were intelligently designed by God and thus are to live. Any deviation from natural law, like homosexuality, is in effect saying that God created us wrong and is sinful.

Not only does natural law condemn homosexuality, but many Biblical verses do as well. In First Corinthians 6:9, Paul lists the sins that will bar one from entering heaven. Among them is acting homosexual. The Old Testament, in Leviticus 20:13, goes as far to say if a man has sex with another man, kill them both. Fortunately, Christians condemn this last verse, citing the more peaceful New Testament's transcendence over the Old Testament.

Jesus, the divine inspiration of the New Testament, taught us to love the sinner but hate the sin (leading a gay lifestyle). One of the main reasons he embodied himself was to rid of verses like the one quoted above. Jesus disproved of Judaism's treatment towards homosexuals and would surely disprove of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's current campaign to wipe out homosexuality in Iran.

When proudly shouting, "I'm not gay" during the "Good Ol' Song," I am simply publicizing my religiously-informed belief that it is wrong to act homosexual. I am not taking away anyone's life as Ahmadinejad is attempting to do, nor am I suppressing their beliefs as happens so often on these "academical" grounds.

I understand that the word "gay" in the "Good Ol' Song" is meant to translate as happy, but why is it wrong to assert our religious and political views at the juncture, as we should be able to at any juncture? Clearly there is nothing wrong with exerting our freedom of speech -- especially responsible speech supported in Christianity.

I find it pathetic that our Christian American majority, in this case shown at the University, is willing to set aside their religious beliefs for political correctness. The movement against the "not gay" chant is just another example of liberals, for which universities tend to be a hotbed, trying to suppress religious views in the public square.

During the second half of the football season I have felt uncomfortable saying the "not gay" chant, not because of the content, but because of the stares and criticisms I receive after doing so. Despite this discomfort, I will continue to press on as one of the last beacons of strength and morality. That may sound too pompous for the rather insignificant matter at hand, but courage on any level is hard to find these days. Political correctness, a weakening morality and lack of courage are suffocating our once-great nation. You have an opportunity to stop the suffocation. Promote the "not gay" chant.

Alex Cortes is a first year in the College of Arts & Sciences.