Farewell to a modern screen legend

A&E remembers Philip Seymour Hoffman

“Can I kiss you, please? Can I kiss you on the mouth? Please let me…” Scotty J. drunkenly begs Dirk Diggler (played by Mark Wahlberg) in the 1997 film “Boogie Nights.”

This self-loathing, sexually frustrated, closeted boom operator was my introduction to the actor who would turn out to be one of the most talented and successful thespians of our generation: Philip Seymour Hoffman. The inarguably premature death of Hoffman at 46 years old on Sunday, Feb. 2 has many movie lovers recalling memorable performances from the star’s 22-year career.

A three-time Academy Award nominee and one-time winner, Hoffman was known for his ability to seamlessly dissolve into any role, whether a hauntingly charismatic and manipulative cult leader in “The Master,” or an arrogant meddling friend in “The Talented Mr. Ripley.”

Hoffman had the rare ability to keep his own idiosyncratic personality from taking over the characters he played in films and on stage; he was simultaneously himself and an ever-changing chameleon from role to role. He refused to be cornered into any one genre — his eclectic résumé includes formulaic romantic comedies like “Along Came Polly,” dark biopics like “Capote,” and everything in between. Despite the variety of his works, one thing is certain: he owned every scene he appeared in, regardless of the size of the role.

What Hoffman’s characters often had in common was their unsympathetic and despicable temperaments. On paper, they were portrayed as creepy, disgruntled and truly awful individuals oozing insecurity and unresolved pain. But Hoffman brought a redeeming quality to even the most detestable roles.

Perhaps the most remarkable of Hoffman’s infinite litany of talents was his ability to provide every character he played with depth and complexity, evoking a sort of compassion and compelling any reluctant audience to identify with him.

“I didn’t go out looking for negative characters,” Hoffman once said in a Slate interview. “I went out looking for people who have a struggle and a fight to tackle. That’s what interests me.”

Unfortunately, Hoffman was just as tortured in his own life as his troubled characters appeared in their fictional ones. After fighting a heroine addiction and staying sober for 23 years, he relapsed, ultimately surrendering to his demons.

Many actors have had remarkable careers with impressive filmographies, but it is hard to find someone with as diverse and intriguing a portfolio as Hoffman. Beyond acting, there was something about his unglamorous, scruffy just-woke-up-on-a-park-bench look and undeniable humility that resonated with American audiences. He played anti-heroes in movies and lived as an anti-star off-screen. Although we will no longer be spoiled with his performances, we should feel blessed for the legacy he graciously left behind. Hoffman is a modern Hollywood legend and should be remembered as such.