Charlottesville Women's Four Miler sets year fundraising record

Charity race garners $375,000 for U.Va.'s Breast Cancer Center

For 22 years, the Charlottesville Women’s Four Miler has brought thousands of women together to raise both money for and awareness of breast cancer. This year, with the effort of 3,500 participants, donors and dedicated organizers, the Women’s Four Miler raised a record $375,000 for the University Breast Care Center.

Race director Audrey Lorenzoni credited this year’s success to enthusiastic support and donations from cancer survivors.

“There’s not one person that made this happen," Lorenzoni said. "It’s literally everyone that participated in the event and volunteers. There’s a whole entire field of women who helped out.”

The Women’s Four Miler raises money for the Breast Care Center, which provides services such as mammograms and genetic testing. The proceeds will expand access to procedures such as ductal lavage — a biopsy method for high risk patients — and breast cancer education resources.

“Our team at the Breast Care Center is so appreciative for everyone who donates their time, effort and money to support our programs at U.Va.,” Dr. Jennifer Harvey, co-director of the Breast Care Program, said in a UHS press release.

The University Breast Care Center works with the Women’s Four Miler to promote breast health for all women in the Charlottesville community.

The Women’s Four Miler has raised more than $2.8 million so far for the University.