Sense8 is a bold and grand piece of work despite flaws

First season of Netflix show mostly shines

<p></p>

The first season of “Sense8” is the latest release from streaming-powerhouse Netflix. The show was conceived and driven by the Wachowski siblings, best known for the “Matrix” films, and co-creator J. Michael Straczynski. The three have never steered away from risks, and this project is no different. “Sense8” feels like a culmination of everything they have produced so far – it’s big and full of heart, though it tends to fall flat at times.

The premise of the show is simple: eight strangers all from around the world connect after being reborn as sensates. They can communicate with each other, speak one another’s languages and ultimately harness each other’s skills.

Instead of driving the supernatural premise, the show often ditches it completely and instead shows eight completely separate stories with separate genres, ranging from a more romantic-comedy in India to a heist action story in Berlin. The show tackles large themes like sexuality, identity, politics, gender and religion, but a lot of the time these issues are too on the nose. “Sense8” is not subtle television.

Yet despite a lot of the narrative and structural weaknesses, the series itself is visually beautiful. The show’s large budget allowed for filiming on location in nine different cities across the globe from Mexico City to Nairobi to Mumbai. One can feel the gravity of the show, and with the Wachowskis directing the majority of the episodes, each is a visual masterpiece.

On top of the beautiful scenery and outstanding direction, the relatively unknown cast itself is spectacular. In particular, Jamie Clayton is a standout among the ensemble, as a trans political blogger.

The science fiction aspect is a slow burn. At times, the show could really have focused more on the original, supernatural premise rather than showcasing eight often mundane lives. But with all twelve episodes released simultaneously, the show is built to binge-watch.

After binging all twelve episodes in the course of one day, the show’s ending is satisfying. Despite some of the slow, annoying reveals and sometimes unnecessary plot points, the show is a fun and entertaining ride. The action sequences are beautifully choreographed, and the show has a refreshing willingness to treat both men and women equally with respect to ability and physical exposure.

With the season finally returning to its original premise toward the end of the first season, a second season has the potential to blow these first twelve episodes out of the water. Despite many of the structural weaknesses, “Sense8” feels a lot like a twelve-part movie and that makes for a fun summer binge. The cast and the locations are so good that it's worth the watch despite shortcomings.