BERMAN: Assad is scarier than ISIS

The Syrian dictator is a menace and mass violator of human rights

Syria is a mess. Since its civil war commenced in early 2011, an estimated 9 million citizens have fled their homeland in search of refuge, which has consequently spurred one of the largest refugee crises in recent memory. Syria has become a failed state, which has resulted in various factions vying for control over the territory: President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, rebels against Assad and the self-proclaimed Islamic State (or ISIS). While most Americans are likely more or less aware of this tragic situation, I would venture to say that out of those three factions, ISIS gives Americans the most fear. In reality, we should be more afraid of Assad’s regime. While both factions have certainly played comparable roles in generating the Syrian crisis, Assad’s regime has shown to be far more brutal than ISIS, and his government has international connections that should make every American gravely concerned about the future.

Yet, why is it that ISIS is portrayed as so threatening? Certainly, the media is largely to blame. In September of 2014, American journalist James Foley was savagely beheaded at the hands of ISIS. The video surfaced on the internet, and was even momentarily uploaded to YouTube and Twitter. More recently, this past Fourth of July the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security both advised law enforcement to be hypervigilant for terrorist activities, as the very celebration of our independence heightened the possibility of an attack. As we know, no attack actually occurred that day; no one was beheaded, no bombs went off and no Americans were targets of violence. Still, Americans are deathly afraid of ISIS because we have seen the savagery they are capable of, and the media has been quick to make us aware of it.

In reality, ISIS does not have the resources or capabilities to carry out the sort of systematic acts of terror of which the media has made us so weary. This is because the group is, for the most part, more concerned with expanding its territory in the Middle East and holding those claims securely. We should certainly take ISIS seriously, as failing to do so could render us more susceptible to the sorts of attacks we most fear. Yet, we must also take into account that jihad-inspired terrorism is not even the biggest terrorism threat to the United States, as extreme right-wing terror, such as the tragic shootings in Charleston, South Carolina over the summer, is more frequent and more deadly.

If Americans ought to fear any faction in the Syrian quagmire it should be Assad’s regime. While his government does not boast the same sort of bombastic anti-American rhetoric and threats as ISIS does, Assad’s refusal to resign from power has serious implications. Looking at death tolls alone, Assad is responsible for the deaths of over 200,000 civilians. In one month alone, Assad murdered around 1,000 of his own civilians. ISIS, for comparison, murdered around 100 in the same time frame. The Assad regime also systematically tortures its dissidents at one of its 27 documented torture centers, and contributes to the brutal deaths of about four Syrians per day. Like ISIS, the regime has proven to be merciless to those who threaten its stability. The crucial difference that should raise everyone’s eyebrows is the sheer magnitude of Assad’s systematic destruction of his own people, which is enough to instill fear and anguish in anyone.

A large reason Americans tend to be more afraid of ISIS is because it appears more capable of attacking the United States than Assad. Perhaps the most ominous aspect of Assad’s regime, which could certainly have implications in the United States, is his international connections to two of the our biggest rivals: Iran and Russia. Iran has supported Assad throughout the Civil War because both advocate Shia Islam, and with Iran’s aid, Assad hopes to stabilize a major Shia stronghold in the region. In addition, the Russian military has recently been present in Syria, as it too has aligned itself with Assad in an effort to stabilize the Middle East. The aid that flows into Assad’s Syria from both nations bolsters its ability to attack and torture its own citizens and prolongs a Civil War that has already had dire consequences. Yet, the presence of the Russian military in Syria poses a much more serious threat. The nations who already are militarily active in the region, such as the United States and its allies Israel and Turkey, must alter their planning so as not to strike Russian military personnel. If, for some reason, the Russians were struck, even by accident, the Kremlin would have a reason to seek retribution against the United States and our allies. With world powers vying for influence in Syria’s anarchy, even the smallest miscalculation could lead to a world-wide, multinational military conflict. On the contrary, no state would dare to align itself with ISIS.

Syria’s Civil War is tragic for far too many reasons. Yet, as Americans, it is crucial for us to understand the bigger picture. Bashar al-Assad, too, is a terrorist.

Jesse Berman is a Viewpoint writer.