Students abroad confirmed safe following earthquake in Ecuador

Three students still remaining in Ecuador, one returned to U.S. before earthquake

Following an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.8, the University has been in contact with students studying abroad in Ecuador.

Dudley Doane, the director of International, Summer and Special Academic Programs, said four students were in Ecuador this semester — three on outside programs, and one conducting research.

“All were confirmed safe after the earthquake,” Doane said in an email statement.

Of the four students, three remain in Ecuador to complete their programs, while the student conducting research returned to the United States before the earthquake.

The University has a comprehensive emergency plan in place to guarantee the safety of students studying abroad that relies on the host university. Students who study abroad through outside programs are required to have health and emergency assistance insurance that covers evacuation.

“Whether students can complete their semester depends on several variables, most notably the timing of their departure,” Doane said.

Doane emphasized the efforts of international relief.

“It is important to support relief efforts when natural disasters occur,” Doane said.