Lacrosse legend Starsia will not return next season, Inside Lacrosse reports

Virginia men’s lacrosse coach Dom Starsia will not return to coach the Cavaliers next season, Inside Lacrosse reported. Athletic director Craig Littlepage will not renew Starsia’s contract, which expires Jan. 2017.

Starsia has coached 24 seasons at Virginia since taking over in 1993, following 10 seasons at the helm of Brown, his alma mater. The news comes after the Cavaliers went 7-8 in 2016, failing to qualify for the NCAA Tournament for the second time in four years.

Starsia compiled a 274-103 record in Charlottesville, including 21 NCAA Tournament appearances. He coached 13 Final Four squads, winning four national championships, most recently in 2011. The 2006 team went 17-0 en route to the national championship.

Starsia’s 375 wins are the most all-time for an NCAA division I men’s lacrosse coach. In 2011, he broke the previous record of 326, held by Jack Emmer.

In his tenure at Virginia, Starsia coached 125 All-Americans, including Tewaaraton Trophy winners Chris Rotelli, Matt Ward and Steele Stanwick.

Inside Lacrosse reported an email sent to the Virginia Lacrosse Alumni Network stated Starsia’s contract will not be renewed. Littlepage, who last week would not commit to Starsia returning next year, has yet to comment on the story.

Virginia has not won an ACC regular season contest since March 1, 2014, against Syracuse, and has failed to qualify for the ACC Tournament for three consecutive years.

Starsia’s replacement likely will not be named until the conclusion of the 2016 men’s lacrosse season. The championship game will take place on Memorial Day.