Golf ties for sixth at Inverness Intercollegiate

<p>Junior Danny Walker holds the Virginia men's golf team's record third-best stroke average and will look to continue his success in the Gary Koch Invitational.</p>

Junior Danny Walker holds the Virginia men's golf team's record third-best stroke average and will look to continue his success in the Gary Koch Invitational.

The No. 21 Virginia men’s golf team tied for sixth place out of 13 teams at this week’s Inverness Intercollegiate tournament in Toledo, Ohio.

The Cavaliers got off to a rough start in the two-day, three-round tournament. The first round

concluded with Virginia positioned in ninth place after they shot a 297 (13-over). The Cavaliers then improved by five strokes the second round, shooting a 292 (8-over) to finish the day in seventh place.

Virginia played their best in the final round, shooting a 284 (even with par) for the tournament’s third best score of the round. However, it was not enough to significantly move the Cavaliers up on the leaderboard after a shaky first day, and the team ended the tournament tied with Minnesota in sixth place with a combined score of 873 (21-over).

No. 11 Auburn, who came in second to Virginia at the Carpet Capital Collegiate earlier this season, took first place at the Inverness Intercollegiate with a combined score of 843 (9-below).

The top two performers of the tournament for Virginia were senior Jimmy Stanger and junior Danny Walker, who each shot 213 (even with par) to both finish tied for 10th individually out of 78 competing golfers. Walker competed in the tournament as an individual golfer, however, and his score did not contribute to Virginia’s team score.

Virginia has about three and a half weeks off before they next travel to Johnson City, Tenn. to compete in the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate Oct. 14 to 16.