Stanger leads Virginia to tie for first in Georgia

Teams participate in the 2016 NCAA Men's Golf Franklin Regional at Vanderbilt Legends Club on Monday, May 16, 2016 in Franklin, Tennessee.

Thanks to senior captain Jimmy Stanger’s birdie on the final hole, the No. 7 Virginia men’s golf team finished tied for first place with co-champion No. 23 Texas in the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate this past weekend. The birdie also propelled Stanger up to finish tied for first place individually out of 90 competing golfers.

The team win marks the third time in four tournaments this fall the Cavaliers have finished atop the leaderboard. It was arguably Virginia’s most impressive victory yet, as 12 of the 17 competing teams in the tournament were ranked in the top 30 nationally according to golfstat.com.

Stanger, the No. 18 ranked player in the country, entered the par-5, 18th hole in round three with Virginia sitting at 7-under par, one stroke behind Texas at 8-under par. Additionally, Stanger had an individual score of 8-under par, trailing one behind eventual co-champion senior Max McGreevy of Oklahoma at 9-under par.

After successfully placing the ball just five feet from the hole on his third stroke wedge shot, Stanger sank the proceeding putt on the fourth stroke to birdie for the individual and team victory. It was Stanger’s second career first place finish, as the Tampa, Fla. native tied for first at the General Hackler Championship last March.

The Cavaliers also had standout performances from junior Danny Walker and freshman Luke Schapp. Walker had the team’s best final round, shooting a 67 to finish tied for 12th overall with a combined three-round score of 213 (3-under). Schapp was consistent throughout the week, finishing tied for 24th overall with a combined score of 217 (1-over).

This was Virginia’s final tournament of 2016, as the team will not compete again until Feb. 15, 2017 in the John Burns Intercollegiate in Kauai, Hawaii.