Apr 29, 2017

SPORTS

Men’s tennis coach Brian Boland announces departure from team

spbrianbolandvasports

Brian Boland ushered in a golden age for Virginia men's tennis, and the school will be hard-pressed to find someone of his caliber to replace him.

Virginia men’s tennis coach Brian Boland announced Wednesday morning that he will be leaving the University to become the head of men’s tennis for USTA Player Development. Boland has won three national championships in the past four years with Virginia.

“For the past sixteen years, my family and I have considered it a privilege and a blessing to call Charlottesville our home and the University of Virginia men's tennis program our life,” Boland said in a released statement.

While at Virginia, Boland won the ITA National Coach of the Year twice and ACC Coach of the Year 10 times. Additionally, the Cavaliers won 140-consecutive ACC games under Boland from 2006 to 2016 — the longest winning streak by any ACC school in any sport.

Boland will remain the head coach of Virginia until the end of this season. His team currently undefeated at 17-0 and 4-0 in the conference.

Published March 29, 2017 in Sports