Women's Volleyball looks to regain momentum in Jefferson Cup

After a disappointing showing in the Appalachian Invitational last weekend in which Virginia was swept by both ETSU and Towson before finally finding its footing and downing Appalachian State 3-1, the Cavaliers will look to improve their 3-3 record in its third tournament of the season. 

Virginia, which opened the season strongly in the Cavalier Classic tournament, suffered its first serious setback of the year — losing decisively against two teams in lower divisions. These losses exposed many weakness the Cavaliers need to fix if they want to be successful in future conference play and beyond. 

Of issues most apparent for Virginia, a low offensive hitting percentage most greatly prevented Virginia from winning sets. Virginia was unable to score against ETSU, hitting .067 to a .321 attack percentage. 

Looking forward, Virginia will face off against the VCU Rams, Howard Bison and Ohio Bobcats at Memorial Gymnasium in an effort to receive the necessary experience and resources to improve the Cavaliers’ record. 

Squaring up first against Virginia is in-state foe VCU (6-2), who enters the tournament with a strong record. Last weekend, the Rams were able to shut down High Point’s offense — holding them to just a .150 hitting percent. Losing the opening set, VCU was able to capitalize on mistakes made late in the match by High Point to come out on top . 

Following the Rams, Virginia will take on Howard University (1-6). The Bison have been unable to find much success in the early part of the season, mostly due to an inability to convert in key situations. In their last game, the Bison were unable to win a single set despite having significant leads over their opponent. 

Later, the Cavaliers will face the Ohio Bobcats (5-3), who are fresh off a hard-fought victory against longtime rival Marshall. Despite many mistakes on attack, the Bobcats were able to edge out Marshall and come up with an impressive win. 

The Cavaliers will compete in the Jefferson Cup against VCU at 7 p.m. in Memorial Gymnasium.