Football falls to Louisville after second half struggles

<p>Senior wide receiver Andre Levrone had a solid game with 92 receiving yards in the loss against Louisville.</p>

Senior wide receiver Andre Levrone had a solid game with 92 receiving yards in the loss against Louisville.

After a huge victory over Georgia Tech to clinch bowl eligibility, the Virginia football team headed to Louisville, Ky. looking to pick up some momentum as the end of the season draws near. However, Louisville junior quarterback Lamar Jackson and the Cardinals proved to be too much, as Virginia (6-4, 3-3 ACC) fell to Louisville (6-4, 3-3 ACC) by a score of 38-21. 

Jackson was phenomenal for Louisville, throwing for three touchdowns and 195 yards. He was just as effective on the ground, rushing for 147 yards and a touchdown on 15 attempts. It was Jackson’s seventh game of the season with at least 100 rushing yards. 

The game was close throughout the first half, with Virginia only heading into halftime down 17-14. However, the offense was unable to get much going in the second half, getting outscored by the Cardinals 21-7. Virginia’s last touchdown came with under two minutes left in the game, proving to be of little importance in the outcome of the game. 

Virginia senior wide receiver Andre Levrone had a big game, notching six receptions for 92 yards, including a deep 30-yard catch. Virginia junior tight end Evan Butts caught the Cavaliers’ only receiving touchdown on the day, with Virginia junior tailback Jordan Ellis and sophomore tailback Chris Sharp both adding rushing touchdowns. 

Louisville clinched bowl eligibility with their win over Virginia and will now get set to take on Syracuse next weekend. Virginia will begin to prepare for another very difficult challenge, as they prepare to take on the scorching hot No. 2 Miami, who remains undefeated on the season. That game is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. in Miami Gardens, Fla., at Hard Rock Stadium.