SARA class teaches women defensive tactics

With each new highly publicized sexual assault, fear sets into the community and most ask themselves, "What can I do to prevent this from happening to me or my friends?" But according to sources such as the Sexual Assault Resource Agency (SARA), this is not necessarily the best approach to take.

The word "prevention" suggests that victims of sexual assault can prevent an assault or that they are to blame for one reason or another. Instead, SARA counselors choose to teach women to reduce the risk of sexual assaults.

Kristine Hall, SARA outreach client services coordinator, and SARA Volunteer Coordinator Lisa Speidel are both working to dispel the myths surrounding sexual assault, hoping to create an environment where sexual assault is no longer tolerated.

"Our society focuses on women causing their own assault," Hall said.

"The question really should be 'What in our society is fostering this type of behavior?'" Speidel said.

Experts estimate that only 20 percent of sexual assaults are reported and even fewer of these cases go to court. In 1998, the University Police Department reported only two rapes on-Grounds.

This lack of reporting is partially due to the misconceptions that surround sexual assault. Many people believe assault happens only after dark, in unfamiliar surroundings, that it results in physical injuries, and is committed by an unknown perpetrator.

But Hall and Speidel said this assumption is false, pointing out that the majority of sexual assaults occur in familiar territory, such as a friend's or even one's own home. They said that 85 percent of sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows, whether it be a friend, roommate, roommate's boyfriend, or even the victim's own boyfriend or date.

These facts make it impossible to offer a simple list of tips women can follow to protect themselves from an attack. Carrying mace or personal alarms does not guarantee an increase in personal safety.

University Police Officer Melissa Fielding does not recommend using either device.

"Unless you've received training to carry mace, I don't recommend carrying it," Fielding said. "It's hard to determine which way's downwind."

She said that personal alarms are not very effective either.

Instead, Speidel and Fielding recommend a self-defense course that covers alternatives and simulates a variety of situations.

"What are you going to do when the mace doesn't work or you're caught off guard?" Speidel asks.

She teaches the Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) classes at SARA and feels that women can increase their ability to fend off an attacker only through increased education.

"There's a tendency for people to want a list," Speidel points out.

She said that giving people a list encourages the impression that sexual assault can be prevented by the victim. Hall also said that there are differing degrees of risk for different people and different environments.

"Students walking home from a party at U.Va. generally feel safer than a woman walking home from dinner in town," Hall explained.

Speidel said she wants to give women the tools and knowledge to be aware of potentially dangerous situations.

"We can't present things in absolutes because it limits us," Speidel said. "We need to give them information on what to do that can be applied and adapted in various situations."

With the self-defense courses, students learn how to use their body for defense purposes.

"A lot of women don't believe they have the right or ability to resist physically," Speidel said.

But a large percentage of women have successfully escaped attackers by resisting because their assailants did not want to be seen or heard.

"It's been really rewarding to watch people learn and see them discover the ability and strength they already had in them," Speidel said.

Hall and Speidel warn women that if you are faced with an attacker, you should assess the situation first. Try cooperation or assertively tell him to leave you alone. Then decide whether you can run faster or farther than the assailant. If so, try to disable the assailant first, and then run and yell instead of staying at the scene and screaming.

The vulnerable points of an attacker are the eyes, nose, throat, groin, foot and fingers. Gouge the eyes with fingers, strike up at the nose with the heel of the hand, grab and twist, punch, or knee the assailant's groin, stomp his foot, or grab a finger and pull back sharply, Hall and Speidel said.

These strategies help disengage a victim from an attacker and run away. Try any combination of these tactics in any given situation. Each action listed here is not necessary or practical in every situation.

"To be generally prepared is much more effective than a few tips about part of your life because an assault can happen at all times by anyone," Speidel further emphasized.

Speidel and Hall said there is no foolproof way to "prevent" assault. But taking self-defense classes might help.

Officer Fielding offers some advice for home security as well.

"Places that look unkempt are usually a target for crime," she said.

The exterior environment should be kept clean, free of clutter, and should be well lit. Dead bolt locks, metal-sheeted doors, and doors with solid cores are the safest. If you would like your home assessed, the University Police Department is conducting security surveys of residential areas.

Speidel said women should be wary of their surroundings in all situations, including social gatherings with friends and acquaintances.

"Perpetrators usually test their victims to see how far they can go with the victim," she said.

This includes uncomfortable looks, invasion of private space, unwelcome touching and disconcerting speech. If you sense such signs, Speidel said, be assertive and say no. Leave the perpetrator's presence, tell him you are not interested, and do not isolate yourself with him.

"Sexual assault is committed out of a need for power and control," Hall explained.

Hall said assailants try to isolate their victims from other people so they will not get caught.

But they offered the reminder that these suggestions still do not guarantee safety.

Despite any action or attempts by the victim, the perpetrator has the ultimate decision on whether the attack will proceed, Speidel and Hall emphasized.

They also said women should to be able to say no in a dating situation. Never feel pressured to please someone or to spare someone's feelings. Think about potential situations and plan how you might react.

SARA's next RAD course starts Oct. 18. The University Police Department offers a similar RAD course starting Sept. 19 which meets once a week for four weeks. Fielding is one of the certified instructors. She said she feels the classes are very effective in helping women.

"Most of the students who come in have never been in a physical conflict in their life," she said. "It's very empowering to women and a great confidence booster."

Both courses teach women defense tactics and try to educate them about sexual assault.

SARA offers a full range of services, from risk reduction and education to support for sexual assault survivors, their friends and significant others. They accompany and assist survivors with seeking medical help, following through with the judiciary system process. They also provide a safe and supportive place to share the story of their assault.

"The people we interact with are extremely strong individuals and it's very rewarding to watch them discover their strengths and find the power to go on with their lives," Hall said.