University, city investigate pedestrian safety concerns

Dodging bikes and cars while walking around Grounds is no pedestrian's idea of fun, and University and Charlottesville officials are hoping to improve the situation.

University officials are working to restrict bicycle usage in areas of heavy pedestrian traffic to make walking safer and easier.

The University posed "pedestrians only" signs in those areas earlier this year, but has not been enforcing them yet, University Landscape Architect Mary Hughes said.

The signs are in traffic-heavy locations such as the sidewalk in front of Bryan Hall, the area between Thornton Hall and the Chemical Engineering Building. But while the University's Parking and Transportation Committee passed a rule prohibiting bicycles in those areas, Hughes said the Committee has not passed a policy to allow enforcement.

She said Leonard W. Sandridge, executive vice president and chief financial officer, wanted to wait to decide if enforcement was necessary. Sandridge could not be reached for comment.

Hughes said many students have ignored the rule since there are no repercussions.

"A policy on a voluntary basis isn't obeyed well," she said.

Student Council Rep. Justin C. Pfeiffer, who serves on the Parking and Transportation Committee, said there will be a meeting in two weeks to discuss a proposed $25 fine for violating the "pedestrians only" rule.

But Pfeiffer said he is afraid students would find an automatic fine unpopular. He prefers a fine only in cases where bicyclists are unsafe.

Support for the fine has grown within the Committee, he said.

University Police Capt. Michael Coleman said police statistics do not differentiate between pedestrian and bicycle accidents. The University Police also are joining in the efforts to aid pedestrian safety on Grounds; Coleman said police are helping to construct more sidewalks and improve bicyclist education.

The University's move to make Grounds more pedestrian friendly mirrors a similar effort by the City of Charlottesville.

Inconsistent timing patterns on city traffic lights have been making crossing streets difficult for pedestrians, Charlottesville resident Kevin Cox said.

The left-turning traffic and pedestrians get the green light at the same time at the intersection of University Avenue and 14th Street, Cox said.

Other intersections on Main Street have a five to 10 second delay to give pedestrians a head start, he added. Cox has urged City Council to fix the timing problem, but he said his concerns have fallen on deaf ears.

Cox said the city's attempts to address pedestrian concerns have been weak.

The city "threw away $4,000" for six $675 countdown timers for the University Avenue-14th Street intersection, he said. In addition, the city spent $300,000 to build sidewalks.