Wayland fails to capture Harris' seat

Ed Wayland, Democratic candidate for the 58th district House of Delegates seat, conceded victory to Republican incumbent Paul Harris last night shortly before 9 p.m. at the Democratic headquarters at the Omni Hotel in downtown Charlottesville.

When Wayland conceded defeat, he was trailing Harris 42.9 percent to 57.1 percent.

Final percentages showed Harris with 59 percent of the vote to Wayland's 41 percent.

The showing made by Wayland was somewhat better than analysts expected.

Del. Mitch Van Yahres (D-57), who ran unopposed for the House of Delegates, said Wayland's campaign "showed the Republicans that they can't take anything for granted. Harris had no coattails, he had to run on his record and I think Ed has shown up that record."

Even with the surprisingly strong showing, Wayland said he was "disappointed.

"I thought we would do better," he said.

But it was "a campaign that was frank, straightforward and honorable. I am very proud," he added.

Even before the race's results were obvious, City Democratic Chair Will Harvey said he has "been really proud of [Wayland], he inspired us ... he ran a great campaign, whether he wins or loses, he is a winner."

The campaign was focused on issues, not personalities, Wayland said.

"We ran our campaign based on [Wayland's] record in the community and [Harris'] voting record," Wayland Campaign Manager Michael Diz said.

Harris' voting record played an integral part in Wayland's campaign, Wayland's supporters said.

"We told the voters things that Paul [Harris] didn't tell them," Diz said.

Though Harris had accused Wayland of misrepresenting Harris' voting record, "nothing I said was inaccurate or misleading," Wayland said.

"We were able to do better than most people thought we would because there was concern about [Harris' voting] record," he said.

As far as running for office again in the future, Wayland said, "I have not thought about that at all. [But] I remain committed [and] will stay with the things [the] community needs, and we will never give up.

"There is much work that remains to be done, the battle is not over," he said.

Diz said he expects Wayland will run again.

"Ed Wayland is clearly dedicated to the community," he said.

If Wayland were to run again, there are "many things" he would do differently, such as organization and approach, Wayland said.

Though Wayland's campaign was financed by far less money than Harris' campaign, about $80,000 to $200,000, Diz said he did not count this as a factor in Wayland's loss.

"Money didn't matter. If money did anything, it hurt [Harris'] campaign," he said.