Glazer hopes to contribute business expertise to Board

(This is the first article in a three-part weekly series about the new Board of Visitors members.)

Charles L. Glazer, one of the three new appointees to the University's Board of Visitors, spends much of his time contributing to both the University and the Greenwich, Conn. community where he now resides.

Gov. James S. Gilmore III officially announced yesterday that Glazer, U.S. Rep. Thomas J. Bliley Jr. (R-7th) and Gordon F. Rainey Jr., former University Alumni Association director, will replace Albert H. Small, Champ Clark and Henry L. Valentine II as members of the Board.

Glazer attended the University from 1961 to 1965 and graduated from the Commerce School. During his time at the University, he played on the varsity football team and freshman basketball team.

"I couldn't dunk though," Glazer joked.

He also was a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and the Reserve Officers Training Corps. After graduation, he was first lieutenant in the U.S. Army, on active duty in Korea until 1966. In 1981 he founded C.L. Glazer & Company, Inc. in Greenwich, Conn. He now serves as President and CEO of the institutional brokerage and investment-banking firm.

Glazer said he "hopes to bring good judgment and sound advice to the University."

He served on the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee of the University's Student Aid Foundation. He now is on the Advisory Council of the Athletics Capital Campaign.

University Rector John P. Ackerly III said Glazer probably will serve on the Board's Finance Committee and Student Affairs and Athletics Committee because he "has an expertise that would be helpful in establishing policy for our endowment."

University President John T. Casteen III said Glazer is "a thoughtful man, a courteous and principled man."

Glazer also is involved in state politics, serving as the Republican National Committeeman for Connecticut.

He helped found Arch Street, a drug and alcohol-free facility in Greenwich that offers programs to help the maturation process of teens.

"It's the ultimate teen center," helping over 500 teens, Arch Street Chairman Scott Frantz said.

The community in Greenwich initially did not support its creation, said Judith Donahue, a founding member of Arch Street. But she said after Glazer took the helm, he "pulled off miracles" and "got through the bureaucracy"