Medical Center earns high marks

Several divisions of the University Health System received top-50 rankings in the U.S. News & World Report guide to best hospitals.

Its highest-ranking division, endocrinology and metabolism, was ranked sixth in the nation for its treatment of hormonal disorders.

The nephrology division was the University's highest-climbing division, moving up 12 slots to number 39.

Other University medical specialties ranked include: neurology (18th), cancer (19th), ear, nose and throat (20) and urology (21st).

U.S. News & World Report based rankings for 13 of the 17 specialties evaluated on a combination of factors, including reputation, mortality rates and American Hospital Association survey results.

The magazine determines a "reputational index" by sending questionnaires to 150 board-certified doctors in each specialty -- 2,500 in total -- asking them to choose the top five hospitals in their specialty, said Dr. Fabio Cominelli, chief of the division of gastroenterology (the study of stomach and intestinal disorders).

Dr. George F. Wooten of the neurology division said the subjective nature of the ranking methods make the magazine's lists somewhat questionable.

"The criteria [in the study] are subject to a lot of argument," Wooten said. The Health System was "probably hurt [in the rankings] by our relatively small population density and relatively small hospital."

Dr. Robert W. Cantrell, University vice president and provost for Health Sciences, said the Health System's consistently high rankings are proof of the quality of the staff here.

"Eleven out of 17 of our specialties were ranked, which is very good," Cantrell said. "Only 25 academic medical centers in the U.S. have that many ranked."

• UVa Health System News Release
  • US News & World Report's Best hospitals finder
  •  

Cominelli said it is an honor for the University to receive such high rankings among all the other quality hospitals in the country.

"For our division to be ranked 22nd is very significant. We are competing with places like the Mayo Clinic" in Rochester, Minn. Cominelli said.

U.S. News & World Report's Web site states that to be eligible for these rankings, a hospital has to be "a member of the Council of Teaching Hospitals, to be affiliated with a medical school or to have at least nine out of 17 prescribed technological services."

The print edition of the rankings hit newsstands July 17.