Trend of broken promises in sports

It may not be today. You just won the NCAA title, after all. But the question will return soon, Jason Williams, the same question you answered eight weeks ago.

Yes, we know you told us Feb. 4 that you intend to stay four years at Duke, that you will not be leaving for the NBA now, having just completed your sophomore season. It doesn't matter. We don't believe you. We won't believe you until the draft comes and goes without your name being called. And maybe not even then.

Why should we? From all accounts, your word is trustworthy, but that's what we thought about Butch Davis, right? And Michael Vick? And Ronald Curry, Rick Pitino, Steve Francis and countless others? By now we've learned -- or at least I hope we have -- not to take any athlete, coach or athletic director at his word.

The NCAA in the third millennium is afflicted by a destructive pest, the turncoat who pledges allegiance to his school, his one true love, and then "changes his mind" weeks later. This is a world in which "yes" means "maybe" and "no" means "Ask me again next week and I'll say yes." Davis and Vick are only the most recent examples.

Around these parts, of course, Vick's recent saga is well known. In December, hounded by rumors that he would forego his final two years at Virginia Tech and enter the NFL Draft, the Hokie quarterback reiterated claims he first made in October, committing to at least one more year in Blacksburg.

"I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that this was definite, that I am coming back for another season," Vick announced at a press conference Dec. 15.

• Official website of Duke men
  • Comments