Mulberry replaces Simeon as University e-mail client

Computing at the University will have a new feel this fall with a new program to make work and e-mailing easier for students, faculty and staff.

Students sick of Simeon and its baffling messages such as, "Trying to get mailbox lock from process 18399" will be happy to hear that the University is recommending a new e-mail program called Mulberry that will slowly phase out Simeon.

Mulberry is now available for free download from the University Information Technology and Communications Web site, www.itc.virginia.edu, and will be ITC's new recommended e-mail offering.

ITC changed e-mail programs because the company that sells Simeon, Esys Corp., changed owners and has discontinued sales of the program, said Mark Smith, manager of ITC's desktop computer support.

The University has used Simeon since September 1996.

He added that although ITC will no longer be working with Simeon, students can still check their e-mail with either Simeon or Mulberry until summer 2002.

Mulberry works a lot like Simeon, with a few major improvements, Smith said. For instance, Mulberry opens files attached to e-mails without having to ask users to "specify a helper application," which is often confusing in Simeon.

Third-year Commerce School student Fred Murai has been using Mulberry for a few weeks.

"It's pretty easy to use if you've used Simeon," Murai said.

He said the best feature of the new program is that users can check multiple e-mail accounts.

Mulberry will be installed in all computer labs by this fall, he said.

Simeon will still be available in labs as well, he added.

"We're not pushing students to learn a new e-mail client as soon they walk up to a computer," Smith said.

Mulberry is free to all students, faculty and staff.