Reflections draws diverse, overflowing crowd

A combination of humor, anger, bitterness and hope emerged from the dialogue during last night's "Reflections on Complexions IV: The Real World," in a filled Newcomb Hall Theatre. Students voiced their racial concerns and looked toward change at the annual forum sponsored by Brothers United Celebrating Knowledge and Success.

"Reflections on Complexions" founder Gordon Braxton, a fourth-year Commerce student, said that this year's audience was the most diverse he had seen in the program's four-year run.

Third-year College student Jacqueline Switzer called for a sustained dialogue.

"If you want to see something being done, it's going to start with you, with me, with him and with her," Switzer said. "Go out and make a difference."

At the opening of the forum, a video including a six-member cast of black, white, Latino and Asian-American students parodied MTV's "The Real World," while raising sensitive issues of racial discrimination and cultural stereotypes within the University community.

Fourth-year College student Nealin Parker asked the audience if "things have changed" during their time at the University.

"The U.Va. community is one that flounders, but it's trying," fourth-year College student Chantale Fiebig responded. "All that we can speak to is what we know - and there are a lot of things we don't know."

Students performed skits, which introduced the major issues of the aftermath of Sept. 11, University symbolism and the Rugby Road assaults. The "Black Bus Stop," "The White Spot," The Cavalier Daily and the Greek system were among the University symbols highlighted.

Third-year College student Kai Campbell said that he did not feel The Cavalier Daily had adequately reported recent incidents involving assaults on Rugby Road, but rather had reported only through the eyes of the majority.

"Is it your policy to get one side of the story and write on it?" Campbell asked.

University graduate Kazz Pinkard encouraged minorities who want their voice or perspective heard to take the initiative.

"Those of you who are whining and complaining, go write, do it, it would be a positive step," Pinkard said.

A skit reenacting a night on Rugby Road sparked a dialogue surrounding issues of racial profiling.

"A lot of minorities don't feel comfortable on Rugby Road," Campbell said.

Discussion turned toward topics of self-segregation with some students voicing the importance of cultural identity and others speaking in favor of unity.

"You have to understand all perspectives," third-year College student Samar Katnani said. "You have to understand how everyone is feeling before you can come to a unified feeling."

Braxton said he does not expect "Reflections" to change society or the University institution overnight, but hopes "students will hear something that will make them want to make individual change"