Mary Catherine Wellons

New arena will serve more than just athletics

As plans for the new basketball arena move forward, students, alumni and the Charlottesville community will remain a primary focus of fundraising efforts, architectural planning and the overall vision of the athletic department. The basketball arena project is part of a broader effort to address the lack of adequate space for large gatherings, such as concerts, major speeches and exhibits and exhibitions, University President John T.

Project explores lives of black leaders

The University's Institute for Public History moves beyond the pages of American history books with its "Explorations in Black Leadership" project that examines the lives of influential black leaders. Alongside Black History Month and as part of the spring series of "Explorations," Floyd Flake, a pastor and former member of the U.S.

New course focuses on Asian-American issues

A class that never appeared in the Course Offering Directory, AMEL 302,"Topics in Modern Asian America" has more than exceeded its original capacity with 80 University students enrolled. The efforts of students and faculty led to the creation of AMEL 302 after students realized last semester that courses devoted to Asian-American issues would not be offered for spring 2002.

Greek Jewish Council aims for inclusion

Jewish culture and the Greek system will merge in the newly created Greek Jewish Council, which is designed to provide Jewish University students with new outlets for social interaction. The GJC will function largely as an umbrella organization for all Jewish students involved in the Greek system, said Elizabeth Levy, GJC vice president and a second-year College student. The GJC gained official Contracted Independent Organization status two weeks ago.

University plans new Passport Program

Students, deans and faculty members may soon be crossing more cultural borders through a newly planned project, the Passport Program, which is designed to promote attendance at University programs normally unfamiliar to students. Participants in Passport will attend at least six University events such as programming on cultural issues, religious events, political viewpoints, social or community causes, or sexual orientations during the course of a semester, Assistant Dean of Students Pablo Davis said.

More articles »