Warner appoints new BOV members

Gov. Mark R. Warner appointed three new members to the Board of Visitors to replace chairpersons who were appointed by former Republican Gov. James S. Gilmore III and who were eligible for another term. Warner also appointed a new member to the Board to replace Charles M. Caravati Jr., who had served the maximum two terms.

The four appointees are: Mark J. Kington of Alexandria, Don R. Rippin of Wise, Warren M. Thompson of Herndon and Dr. Edwin Darracott Vaughan Jr. of New York City. All four are alumni of the University.

Board Secretary Alexander "Sandy" Gilliam Jr. said, "I've heard nothing but good things" about the new appointees.

Pippin graduated from the University of Virginia at Wise in 1960 and the University's Law School in 1963.

Thompson, who will be the second acting black member, is president and C.E.O. of Thompson Hospitality Corporation Inc., which is one of the largest minority-owned businesses in the nation. Thompson earned an M.B.A. from the Darden School.

Kington, a venture capitalist from Alexandria, also holds an M.B.A. from the Darden School.

Vaughan, a graduate of the University's Medical School in 1965, will become the only physician on the Board now that Caravati has left. Vaughan technically is replacing Gilmore-appointed Timothy B. Robertson of Virginia Beach.

Robertson, Benjamin P. Warthen and Joseph E. Wolfe all were eligible for reappointment, but Warner decided not to keep them on the Board.

Warner Press Secretary Ellen Qualls said she was not sure why the governor chose not to reappoint the three members. All three had ties to the Republican Party, but Warner did not appoint solely with bipartisanship in mind, Qualls said.

"Both Kington and Vaughan have given money to republican candidates in the past," Qualls said. "The governor is committed to a bipartisan approach to government."

She said Warner chose candidates nominated by the Governor's Advisory Commission on Higher Education Board Appointments. The commission reviews potential candidates based on merit, experience, sound judgement and proven leadership.

Warner has personal ties to Kington, who co-founded Columbia Capital LLC with Warner.

Kington and Thompson both contributed to Warner's campaign. Kington contributed approximately $131,000 and Thompson contributed $10,042.

The Board currently has two women and 14 men. Warner's appointments will keep the current male-female ratio, causing mixed reactions.

"There are all sorts of categories that have to be taken into account," Gilliam said. "We had only one from Northern Virginia and now we have three."

Qualls said she guessed Warner "would look for a qualified woman in the next round of appointments. He is certainly committed to promoting diversity and inclusion."

Elsie Goodwyn Holland, one of two women on the Board and previously the only black member, said, "It would be nice to have another woman appointed, however I am quite excited that another African-American was appointed"