Dealing with culture shock

ONCE AGAIN, it's that wonderful time of year. Everyone is enjoying their summer and anticipating the return to friends and good times here at the University. Just twelve short months ago, such was life for myself - the excitement of waving goodbye to my parents and beginning my very own college career was almost unbearable. That is, until I realized the predicament that so many people clearly were stuck in. Welcome to the University. Welcome to your new home. Welcome to new friends. Oh, and by the way, welcome to culture shock.

Culture shock? "Now something like that would never happen at the University." Actually, whether you are aware of it or not, it can start occurring from the moment you step into your hall, suite or dorm room. Culture shock is a reaction to any difference, but in most cases, people cannot admit that they have experienced it. Perhaps the stigma of literal "shock" prevails, but reality insists that deep within each person's psyche lie hidden reactions to a change in culture and environment that eventually permeate all your decisions.

The University is an environment much different than most people have ever experienced before, and believe it or not, a lot of students are unable to deal with it very well. Some of the signs of being in shock are feeling a sense of uprootedness or disorientation. Many times this causes students to further investigate their own culture and heritage, which is wonderful. The serious problem, though, is how culture shock can negatively affect one's involvement and mindset when coming to the University.

For instance, be aware of your friends. Do they all look like you? Act like you? Have the exact same opinions as you do? These are things that you must ask yourself. Speaking from experience, I very quickly found myself surrounded by people who reminded me of myself. This can be beneficial and reaffirming to many, but it also can be quite limiting.

If you come to the University and immediately set boundaries and ideals for your friends, you may very quickly be setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't shut the door on possibilities before they have even been opened to you. Ask yourself why you are or are not involved in certain activities. Make informed decisions. There is too much available to let negativity or pride get in the way. Do take chances, risks and branch out into areas that you never thought you would have the opportunity to.

Don't get caught up in being someone else without finding yourself first. How easy it is to form an identity based around a clique or an organization. People naturally will identify you, but don't let that be all there is. Figure out who you are, and figure out the person that you want to grow into during your college experience. This will help you be so much more rooted in your interactions. Be aware of others. Attempt to branch out in your relationships with people, even when they aren't necessarily branching out to you. It may not be easy, but it may prove extremely worthwhile.

College is an experience, but it is only what you make of it. Life is short, and everyone is too young to define all aspects of their lives - especially their relationships with fellow students - the moment they sit on the Lawn at Convocation. This is the one time in your life that you have so many opportunities waiting at your fingertips - please indulge yourself. And even if you don't get it right the first time, just believe that for as long as you are here, you get another chance. Welcome to your new environment.

(Amey Adkins is a Cavalier Daily columnist. She can be reached at aadkins@cavalierdaily.com.)