Sports In Brief

Eskandarian, Oliver named to All-America teams

Virginia men's soccer standouts Alecko Eskandarian and Matt Oliver were selected yesterday to College Soccer News' 2002 All-America teams. Eskandarian was named a first-team All-American, while Oliver was named an honorable mention selection.

Eskandarian, a junior forward from Montvale, N.J., set a new Virginia record for goals scored with 25 in 2002. His 54 points tied him for second on the all-time Virginia list.

Oliver, a junior defender from Waldorf, Md., has started all 41 games he has appeared in at Virginia and has been a part of 18 shutouts. He was named second-team All-ACC in 2002. He was named to the Virginia Soccer Classic All-Tournament Team and the Maryland/FILA Classic All-Tournament Team.

Men's swimming and diving falls to Tennessee

The No. 9 Virginia men's swimming and diving team dropped a 126-117 showdown with No. 11 Tennessee Tuesday at the UT Student Aquatic Center in Knoxville, Tenn. The Volunteers took the last event of the meet, the 400-meter freestyle relay, to break a 113-113 tie and win the meet.

Freshman Francis Crippen led Virginia with victories in the 500 and 100 free events. The Cavaliers swept the top three of the 1000 free with senior Dan DeMarco placing second and junior Ian Prichard coming in third.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton