Contractors complain of improprieties

In the wake of allegations of impropriety that surfaced earlier this year, some local painting contractors have voiced doubts about the fairness of bidding on University Facilities Management contracts.

The Cavalier Daily obtained documents early this year showing that L. T. "Spike" Weeks, a contracts manager in Facilities Management, had accepted money from John Sandalis in 1992 when Sandalis was the owner of Dalis Painting, a company hired by the University.

Accepting such gifts is a violation of ethical rules outlined in the Commonwealth of Virginia Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and Their Vendors.

Ed Kirby, owner of Rainbow Painting, originally said in January that he believed he had his contract with the University terminated partially because of the relationship between Weeks and Sandalis. Dalis Painting received the contract after Kirby had his contract terminated.

Since then, other painting company owners have voiced similar concerns about favoritism in the contracting process.

Cleveland Fitzgerald, owner of Fitzgerald Painting, said he had tried to contract with the University in the past, but that his query "may have gotten lost."

Fitzgerald said impropriety in Facilities Management is widely known among painters.

"This stuff has been going on for years," Fitzgerald said. "That's why most of the painting contractors in town want nothing to do with it."

Alonso Santa, the owner of Alonso Painting Contractor, also said he thought he had been treated unfairly.

"I make like 8 or 10 proposals to them and they don't respond," Santa said.

Michael Alexander, the owner of Alexander Painting, which contracts with the University, offered a somewhat more favorable perspective on Facilities Management's contracting process.

"In some cases I have [been treated fairly], in some cases I haven't," Alexander said.

Alexander said he doubted any impropriety by Weeks alone could influence the overall bidding process.

"It's not just Spike Weeks giving out contracts," Alexander said. "It's a whole selection committee that reviews them."

Chief Facilities Officer Robert P. Dillman and Jay Klingel, director of business management services in Facilities Management, both did not return calls seeking comment yesterday.

Documents obtained by The Cavalier Daily in January included receipts from a money transfer and an appliance store purchase sent from Sandalis to Weeks, both of which dated from 1992. Weeks has worked for the University for more than 20 years, and Sandalis began contracting with the University in 1990.

Director of Procurement Services Eric Denby said in a letter last year that he had investigated the matter. Sandalis also was investigated for giving bribes sometime between 1995 and 1997, according to a source familiar with the investigation who asked not to be identified.

After the report surfaced in January, the University began an investigation into the matter, headed by Director of Audits Barbara Deily.

"The investigation is ongoing," University spokesperson Carol Wood said.