University report finds mixed results on climate of communication, black student satisfaction

University students engage in relatively widespread dialogue between races, but "pockets of dissatisfaction" exist among African-American students, according to a report released last month which used data gathered in 2002 and earlier.

The information was collected as part of the National Survey of Student Engagement. The University's Office of Institutional Assessment and Studies used the data to create its report, titled "African Americans at the University of Virginia: A Comparative Overview of Survey Data."

IAAS Executive Director Edward Moomaw said the survey used random samplings of first and fourth-year students.

According to the survey's data from 2002, 73 percent of students "often" or "very often" have serious conversations with students of a different race or ethnicity than their own.

This figure represented a 15 percent increase from the 2000 survey data and was 23 percent higher than the national average among major research universities that participated in NSSE.

Moomaw said these figures in student interaction were one of the most heartening aspects of the report.

"If 70 percent of our students are talking to each other, that's pretty good," Moomaw said.

He also said he was pleased with data from 2002, showing that 61 percent of students said they were exposed to diverse views in the classrooms, higher than most other institutions.

Not all of the data from the study was encouraging, however, Moomaw said.

The report showed that 89 percent of first-year black students and 74 percent of fourth-year black students said they would probably or definitely return to the University given the choice again.

This compares to 97 and 89 percent among first and fourth-year students of other races.

Moomaw said while the University's student retention and satisfaction rates were still high, he was concerned about the quarter of African-American fourth years that would not have returned to the University.

"I think that's probably a warning sign," he said.

Black Student Alliance President Myra Franklin said the finding squares with her own experience.

"African Americans for the most part enjoy our time here," Franklin said. "But over time you get a little bit frustrated."

Dean of African-American Affairs M. Rick Turner said he attributes the finding to social inequalities he perceives at the University.

"You see so many white students having a place to go," Turner said. "All students see the social inequality when they walk down Rugby Road."

Moomaw also said he was concerned by results showing fewer University fourth years thought U.Va. emphasized interaction between students of different backgrounds than at other schools in the NSSE survey.

He said this finding could be attributed to the nature of student housing.

"After you get out of the dorms, student housing is less integrated," Moomaw said.

Despite some of the particular findings of the study, Franklin said overall the report reflects well on the University.

"I think overall the article is showing that the University is doing a good job on diversity and race relations," Franklin said.