Riding in style

The first years won't even know how good they've got it.

In a campus covered in construction, students will get to enjoy one updated University institution -- three new University Transit Service buses.

According to David J. Kloss, the UTS assistant director for transit operations, three brand new 2003 Gillig Phantom buses were delivered in June.

The buses feature air conditioning, like many of the newer UTS buses.

But they also have easier-to-read illuminated signs, including signs on the side so you don't have to walk around the bus to determine whether it's blue or orange.

And for those who ride the bus at peak times of the morning, the new buses feature passenger straps for people who are standing.

Other improvements include electric windshield wipers, per a new industry standard, and cloth seats, as opposed to the more common plastic.

"The customers particularly like the blue and orange cloth seats because they don't slide like some of the older buses," Kloss said. "The plastic ones stick to your legs, too."

The purchase of Gilligs comes as part of a movement to change the make of the entire fleet.

"My goal is to standardize the fleet to be all Gilligs," Kloss said. "We started purchasing Gilligs in 1995, and they seem to hold up very well with the high demand of driving that we do and the service that we provide to the University community."

He also cited excellent customer service as an advantage of the Gilligs -- they usually can send replacement parts overnight to help UTS keep the fleet up and running.

"I personally made a trip with one of our mechanics out to the factory in California when I got this position," Kloss said. "They have a great setup on their production line."

But so much excellence doesn't come cheap -- the buses cost around $238,000 each.

Right now the UTS fleet consists of 29 transits, 12 of which are Gilligs.

Kloss plans to phase out the other buses as they reach the end of their normal life expectancy, usually 15 to 20 years. The oldest bus the fleet contains was purchased in 1983.

Kloss said the response from drivers as well as customers has been extremely positive.

"Hopefully this will enhance the image of our service," Kloss said. "I'm very happy with the progress we're making in updating the fleet."