IFC, Greek councils call for right to set rush days

In the name of student autonomy, the University's four Greek governing councils have begun a joint initiative to bring the fraternity and sorority recruitment calendar under student control.

The move stems from a Sept. 26 meeting of the heads of the four Greek councils, including Inter-Fraternity Council President Ryan Ewalt, Inter-Sorority Council President Cahill Zoeller, Multicultural Greek Council President Melody Han and Black Fraternal Council Co-Chair Jason Bell.

Although the issue of fall versus spring rush has been contested since 1998, when former Dean of Students Robert T. Canevari deferred rush to the spring, the councils say they are focusing primarily on issues of student self-governance.

"The ISC has no immediate plans to revert to a fall recruitment," Zoeller said. "Our motive is purely based on Jefferson's principle and value of student self-governance, which makes this institution so unique and which has been stripped from our hands."

The administration currently has the final word on rush scheduling through the University-mandated Fraternal Organization Agreement, Ewalt said.

The FOA is a contract that establishes a relationship between a fraternity or sorority and the University. Among its many terms and conditions, the agreement states that the University has the right to determine the days of recruitment in exchange for fraternity and sorority privileges, such as the right to use University facilities, Ewalt added.

"Even if [the University's right to mandate the recruitment schedule] were repealed, there is no guarantee that any of our organizations would consider fall rush because so many other factors go into that decision," Han said. "Right now we're just seeking the right to decide."

The IFC last Thursday formed an ad-hoc committee, comprised of chapter presidents and IFC executive committee members, to draft a formal proposal presenting its argument to Patricia Lampkin, vice president of student affairs.

Lampkin was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Aaron Laushway, associate dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life, said his office is willing to cooperate with the councils' efforts.

"I look forward to working with the ad hoc committee, representing our four governing councils, to examine current and proposed recruitment practices and student self-governance," Laushway said.

Ewalt said he is scheduled to meet with Lampkin tomorrow for an informal discussion on the history behind the University's recruitment policies.

Although at this preliminary stage it is difficult to predict a completion date for the proposal, Ewalt said, the goal of the ad-hoc committee is to finish by the end of the month.

In addition to the formal proposal, the IFC will present a support document containing the signatures of the four council heads.

Although each BFC organization adheres to recruitment procedures outlined by its respective national chapter and will not be strongly affected by a change in University policy, BFC Co-Chair Darren Kelly expressed the BFC's support.

"When student groups come together to have student self governance and make their own rules, it's a good thing as long as it works," Kelly said.

Both Han and Zoeller have informed members of their respective councils about the initiative.

"I discussed it with the chapter presidents at last Monday's meeting, and they are in complete agreement that it's a good move for us," Zoeller said.

Han said she expects a similar reaction from the MGC.

"I am positive that we'll have support for this particular matter," Han said. "It really stands on the founding principle of the University."