ISC votes to expand leadership eligibility

In a unanimous decision, the chapter presidents of the Inter-Sorority Council's 16 sororities voted last night at their weekly Presidents Council meeting to reform ISC Executive Board election procedures in order to expand the pool of women eligible to become ISC leaders.

The changes were primarily focused on the top five positions of the ISC Executive Board: President and Vice Presidents for Judiciary, Recruitment, Finance and Administration, ISC President Cahill Zoeller said.

Prior to last night's decision, only ISC Executive Board members, chapter representatives and ISC Judiciary Committee counselors and investigators were eligible to run for all five Executive Board positions, said Chris McGill, program coordinator for the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

In addition to those four classes of eligible candidates, chapter presidents now can run for ISC president and chapter treasurers now can run for vice president for finance, McGill said.

The candidate pool also expanded for the position of vice president for administration. Past chapter executive board members and members of a leadership group called Junior ISC now are eligible for the position.

No changes were made to candidate eligibility for vice president for recruitment or judiciary, she added.

The idea stemmed from a meeting between Zoeller and McGill.

"We were discussing how to make [ISC] involvement farther-reaching and how to really reach out to women," Zoeller said. "Because our organization is so large, there should be an appropriate number of women interested in positions of leadership."

ISC Executives said they expect the revised policy governing candidate eligibility to create opportunities for ISC women to more actively participate in the Greek system.

"It's a chance for more girls who are interested in the Greek system to get involved at a decision-making level, especially with the ISC as a whole," said Sumter Armstrong, ISC vice president for judiciary.

Some ISC members who held chapter leadership positions and were willing to contribute time and effort may have previously felt barred from participation strictly because of technical positions, Zoeller said.

"They didn't feel like they've had a position that has been of some recognition on a scale larger than their own chapter and may have felt precluded from applying to a [higher] position," she said.

ISC executives said they see the new policy as a chance to broaden the spectrum of involvement.

"This is a chance to step away from just being part of the house," Armstrong said. "It is a chance to represent all Greek women, not just your organization."