UTS bus hits health system employee

In what officials are calling the most serious accident in University Transit System history, a UTS bus traveling on the Green route struck a pedestrian in the early morning hours Friday.

The bus, driven by Clarence Feggans Jr., a full-time non-student driver, struck Margaret Potts, an animal caretaker at the University Health System's Center for Comparative Medicine, as she attempted to cross Jefferson Park Avenue, according to Rebecca White, director of University parking and transportation.

Potts' condition was listed as critical as of yesterday afternoon, University Health Center spokesperson Margurite Beck said.

"Her condition hasn't changed all weekend," Beck said.

Feggans' bus was traveling along Lee Street and was turning left on JPA when he collided with Potts, White said.

Feggans could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Because Potts was standing in a marked crosswalk and because she sustained serious injuries in the accident, Feggans was charged with reckless driving, Virginia State Trooper Chad Birckhead said.

A class one misdemeanor, reckless driving carries potential penalties of up to one year in jail and/or up to $2,500 in fines. Reckless driving also carries the possibility of a suspension of driving privileges for up to six months.

Birkhead said he knew of no further criminal or civil charges filed as of yesterday.

"Though if Potts were to die