Student Council grants Eta Lodge CIO status with reservations

Student Council voted last night to allow Eta Lodge, not to be confused with the National fraternity also known as "the Lodge," to keep its CIO status despite the Inter-Fraternity Council's decision to reject its application to the IFC last week.

Eta Lodge, formally a part of the national fraternity Phi Kappa Sigma, was granted CIO status a year and a half ago as a temporary means of regaining IFC status.

Council Architecture Rep. Greg Moore, also IFC vice president for membership, originally questioned the CIO status of Eta Lodge in the wake of the IFC's denial of its admittance.

Moore subsequently opposed Eta Lodge's CIO status for two reasons: First, he said, by being denied IFC status Eta Lodge is in violation of its purpose, and second, a CIO cannot discriminate. Since Eta Lodge currently discriminates on a gender basis it cannot continue to do so unless it is qualified as a fraternity.

Eta Lodge President Rob Longo presented e-mails from IFC executive officers last night which stated Eta Lodge would have another opportunity to apply for IFC status in February in an effort to persuade Council members to preserve Eta Lodge's CIO status.

Eta Lodge Treasurer Malcolm Little also argued against Moore's point that Eta Lodge was not fulfilling its purpose.

"The point is although we may have failed there has never been any deterrent in our efforts to gain IFC status," he said.