Uneventful game day draws praise from officials

Despite administrators' concern over the "fourth-year fifth," a yearly trend practiced by some fourth years during which they attempt to consume a fifth of liquor the day of the last home football game, both the University Medical Center and Police Department have confirmed that no serious alcohol-related incidents occurred Saturday.

"Everything I have heard about the weekend was good, and I am grateful to the students and student organizations for that," University President John T. Casteen, III said yesterday. "The crowds I saw on both nights were good-spirited and in the best sense, gentle."

A clinician in the emergency medicine department who manned the first-aid tent at Saturday's football game against Georgia Tech said that no one suffering from alcohol-related injuries was brought to the tent, according to Abena Foreman Trice, a Medical Center spokesperson.

"Things were relatively quiet overall," Trice said.

One person, not a University student, was arrested in Scott Stadium for being drunk in public, said University Police Capt. Michael Coleman.

The only other alcohol-related arrests made between Friday night and Monday morning were two driving under the influence incidents, Coleman said.

One of the DUI arrests definitely did not involve a student, but Coleman was unable to confirm whether or not the other incident involved a student.

University police have increased the number of officers on duty during weekend nights, partially as a result of recent violent incidents involving University students, he said.

"We have heightened awareness of alcohol uses and abuses and we're doing what we can to make sure they do not occur," Coleman said. "We want people to have safe visits at the games and we want students to be safe on Grounds."

Charlottesville police have taken similar measures.

"In a nutshell we're having extra officers on weekends working special assignments to respond to those exhibiting disorderly conduct," Charlottesville Police Sgt. Steve Dillon said.

University administrators say they interpret students' behavior this weekend as a positive response to an e-mail issued Thursday by Casteen, in which he urged students to be responsible when consuming alcohol.

"As far as I can see they did just that," said Aaron Laushway, associate dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life. "I'm happy to note that our students seemed to behave very responsibly."

Casteen said he received positive feedback from community members.

"My letter seems to have done little more than lay out on one page what many people in the community had been thinking and feeling," Casteen said. "One student's note said, 'thank you -- it was time for someone to say these things.'"

University Athletic Director Craig Littlepage said he was pleased with the overall behavior and enthusiasm of the crowd, which numbered over 55,000.

"I think our message has always been that we certainly are sensitive to each and every one of the thousands of people who come to the games," Littlepage said. "We want our fans to have an experience that makes them want to return and continue supporting the team."

Littlepage said he expects the upcoming football game Saturday against Virginia Tech to set an attendance record.

While the high level of security present at all football games will remain unchanged for Saturday's game, University and Charlottesville police will increase their presence around Grounds and in areas immediately off-Grounds, Dillon said.