Penn State launches file-sharing program

Within the first 24 hours that Pennsylvania State University made its pilot legal file-sharing service available free of charge through the campus network, over 3,000 students registered to use it, university officials announced Tuesday.

The university purchased an 18-month subscription to Napster 2.0 in an effort to fight music piracy on its campuses, according to an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

University officials did not disclose how much they paid for the contract, which was first announced in November.

Students will be able to access about 500,000 streaming audio files in the Napster library and download the songs to their computers for the duration of their subscriptions.

Students will be charged 99 cents per song to record music on a CD or to transfer it to a portable music device such as an MP3 player.

University officials plan to make the service available to nonresidential students and faculty members by the fall semester.

They also plan to expand the service outside Penn State's University Park campus to its other campuses.