Airport officials tout passenger increase

Despite the economic downturn in the nation's airline industry after Sept. 11, 2001, a record-setting number of passengers utilized the Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport in February.

A total of 26,775 travelers either arrived at or departed from the airport last month. The figure is 16 percent higher than February 2003 and is attributed to reasonable flight costs and favorable economic conditions, Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport Spokesperson Terrie Dean said.

"Ever since Sept. 11 it's been challenging to be in this business," Airport Authority Board Chair Kurt Goodwin said. "Obviously we look for the bright spots and to see a record-setting month is something to talk about."

The Airport Authority Board is the group responsible for the ongoing management and development of Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport.

"The economic rebound is affecting air transportation positively -- as the economic trend increases upwardly, we are seeing an increase in air travel," Dean said.

Dean noted that in 2003, February was also a record-breaking month.

Statistics show that departures increased by 14 percent with 13,147 more passengers than in February 2003, Goodwin said.

"There's no particular magical answer to point to why exactly those numbers were as high as they were," Dean said.

Goodwin and Dean credited airport marketing teams and efforts at negotiating competitive fares with airlines.

"We have worked very hard in trying to secure lower fares in Charlottesville departures to make it more advantageous to those who want to use the airport," Dean said.

Increased traveler numbers also raise issues of possible expansion.

Currently the airport services three airlines: Delta Connection, United Express and U.S. Airways Express. Airport officials are constantly sending other airlines their transportation statistics in case that greater demand for services arises, according to Goodwin.

"The airport is always looking ahead," Dean said. "We're anticipating growth, and as we grow we will make the necessary improvements."

The airport is now working on a 20-year master plan that would expand its structure and gradually apply necessary developments such as increasing landing strips, Goodwin said.

Although the statistics are optimistic, Dean noted that the upcoming elections could be an unfavorable factor.

"The economy looks good right now, but in an election year you never know what's going to happen," Dean said.